Pan-OS database

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Pan-OS database

L2 Linker

Hi guys, greetings.

On of my customers asked me a simple question about palo alto database. How does it work internally? Is there any SQL database internal on PAN-OS? Should it be accessed by any external factor like APIs os something like that?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@g-crisostomo,

There's actually a number of different databases used by PAN-OS, for example User-ID is kept in a REDIS database with the IP and user being kept as a simple key/value pair (which is why fundamentally an IP can only be mapped to one user). You can glean some additional information by looking at the OSS listings that they publish, like the fact that something uses SQLite. PAN isn't really going to disclose the inter workings of their operating system though. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Community Team Member

Hi @g-crisostomo ,

Are you referring to the PAN-DB? or are you hoping to learn about the architecture of the PAN-OS operating system that runs on all PANW firewalls?

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

L2 Linker

It's about the architecture of the PAN-OS operating system that runs on all PANW firewalls

L2 Linker

Hi @JayGolf, did you see my last information?

Community Team Member

Hi @g-crisostomo ,

I don't believe that information is available to the public. I would recommend reaching out to your SE/ Account team for further questions.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Its a flat database designed for speed, so its definitely not sql.

Regards,

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@g-crisostomo,

There's actually a number of different databases used by PAN-OS, for example User-ID is kept in a REDIS database with the IP and user being kept as a simple key/value pair (which is why fundamentally an IP can only be mapped to one user). You can glean some additional information by looking at the OSS listings that they publish, like the fact that something uses SQLite. PAN isn't really going to disclose the inter workings of their operating system though. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!