PANOS 6 and PA2000 series

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PANOS 6 and PA2000 series

L4 Transporter

we have a really strange issue with PANOS 6 and PA2000 series.

Sometimes, suddenly the PA doesn't react anymore. Serial, MGT and other Ports are not reacting. Strange thing, the Ports are blinking, but no traffic goes through. MGT Mort does only glow at the left LED.

To get the PA running again, a hard restart (power off/on) is required. We are in contact with the support, but I want to ask  you, if you have the same behavior at PA2000 series?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

The PA2000 series is basically an "oops" series from Palo Alto. They won't officially come out and say that, but they don't even want the pair of PA2050s we have sitting in our lab back, it's that bad. You should be yelling at your SE and getting a great deal on a PA3000 if you still have PA2000s.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

L7 Applicator

Hello Hithead,

Could you please let us know, which 6.0.X  version is running on your PAN firewall..? There was an issue reported for PAN OS version 6.0.1 for a 2000 platform.

You may check below mentioned logs for more insight:

-- mp\devsrv.log

-- mp\ms.log

-- mp\masterd_detail.log

-- SYSTEM logs

Thanks

Hi HULK,

we are running 6.0.2 and 6.0.3 on our four PA2000...

I sent every time PaloAlto the TechSupport files. I guess they already analyze the logs?! But I would do that es well...

During the outage, nothing will be written on the System Logs.

Thanks for sharing the information. (PAN OS 6.0.2 is a very stable release so far). Could you please share your support case ID here.

Thanks

Just to confirm, the issue only appeared after the upgrade to PanOS 6.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

correct

update: same behavior with 5.0.13

L4 Transporter

The PA2000 series is basically an "oops" series from Palo Alto. They won't officially come out and say that, but they don't even want the pair of PA2050s we have sitting in our lab back, it's that bad. You should be yelling at your SE and getting a great deal on a PA3000 if you still have PA2000s.

I liked and marked your answer as correct, because that's truth!

We had now several problems with this series and that's a never ending story. In this case, PA recommended to replace the HDD (on all PAs) and complete Hardware (2 of them) - nothing solved the problem.

@all PA2000 series clients: Don't give up!

I second that, I'm not saying give up either! PA2000s were part of the "first generation" of firewalls PA produced. Any company that puts out a sufficiently revolutionary product is going to have a hard time with their first release... look at the first gen iPhone for an example.

Thanks for the updates and troubleshooting.  I did  suspect this would be a platform issue and not the PanOS version based on the history of the 2000 series.

I hope you can get some back end discounts for an upgrade as a loyal customer.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

L1 Bithead

see thread Re: PA-2000 Series issues

having the same issues...it is bug in software, so they say, that will be fixed in future release. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!