Reverting to the 243 content release will fix the issue.
The 244 content has been pulled and the content team is currently working on a fix.
Don't these things get tested before release? Especially when it's a modified decoder?
This had a massive impact on my company's business until I traced the issues to the time the update was applied and rolled back tot he previous version. I'm not imrpessed - especially given how much subscribing to updates for this service costs!
Feature Request - could the Threat Content and App Content be seperated into 2 packages? I want to get Threat Content as it becomes available - but seeing how there have been a few instances where decoder updates have affected business related activities - would like to hold off on App updates until they have had more wide-spread acceptance. Thank you.
Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.
The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!
These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!
The Live Community thanks you for your participation!