Policy not catching correct traffic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Policy not catching correct traffic

L1 Bithead

Hi all, first time poster so go easy!

We're running into an issue where a rule that is meant to catch ether-ip traffic on port 20033 is slipping through and being caught by a lower rule which allows any application and service. Rules as follows:

rules.pngrulebig.png

When running the "show session all filter rule X" command in cli, we can see that sessions are only established for the lower one, and not the higher one.

cli.png

I suppose I'm wondering if the rules have been configured incorrectly caused by me missing something, or if it's configured fine and this appears to be a bug.

Many thanks!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L3 Networker

Hello @ChickenTenderer

IP Protocol number of etherip (97) is not as same as TCP. I think that is the reason why it is not hitting the above rule when you defined TCP ports there. Traffic which is having destination port 20033 and with IP protocol number 6 or 17 will only hit this rule. Can you change it to applicationd deafult and see if it is working?

Pic.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L3 Networker

Hello @ChickenTenderer

IP Protocol number of etherip (97) is not as same as TCP. I think that is the reason why it is not hitting the above rule when you defined TCP ports there. Traffic which is having destination port 20033 and with IP protocol number 6 or 17 will only hit this rule. Can you change it to applicationd deafult and see if it is working?

Pic.PNG

Hi @Rajesh12

Thanks for your reply - your recommendation worked like a charm!

Looks like I'll have to be aware of that in the future.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!