Question about how to deploy PAN-2020 for a lab with a DSL gateway

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Question about how to deploy PAN-2020 for a lab with a DSL gateway

Not applicable

Just had a dedicated DSL modem installed for our test lab. Would like to know some recommendations on how to cut over to the DSL as our internet source for the lab, rather than hitting the corporate lan as it is currently. I can set up the DSL as the "standard" gateway, with or without a lan side with DHCP, or as a passthrough device or ethernet bridge, with the PAN device being the gateway. The documentation on PPPoE on the 4.1 Admin guide has me a bit confused.

I would like the PAN-2020 to be the gateway rather than the Netopia 3000 DSL modem, since it is more secure and has more configuration options, but I'm not sure how to go about it. So far, I assume I will need to add the PPPoE info, create a virtual router, then set up the DSL modem as a passthrough device/ethernet bridge. Any suggestions or deployment info would be appreciated. Thanks.DSL

2 REPLIES 2

Not applicable

I believe you will need to keep the DSL modem as it is the device that converts DSL to Ethernet. You can connect the DSL modem to an unused port on the firewall and configure the PPPoE to make sure you get an IP address, and then change the default gateway on the firewall to be the DSL link. You should see an option to automatically set a default gateway when getting a dynamic IP address. I would set that to disable at first while you test, then switch it to yes so that traffic goes through the DSL and not the LAN anymore.

Make sure that your DSL modem is configured as a "bridge" and not as a "router" in order to not lose performance.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!