Research

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Research

L0 Member

Hi community. I am a student and I would like to know which product/feature of Palo Alto brought it to the center of the map as in, gave them the recognition. 

P.S. This is for my coursework and it's a 3000-word assignment. So, I want to focus on the one major product of Palo Alto Networks and talk about it. 

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

@Sm0001 wrote:

Hi community. I am a student and I would like to know which product/feature of Palo Alto brought it to the center of the map as in, gave them the recognition. 

P.S. This is for my coursework and it's a 3000-word assignment. So, I want to focus on the one major product of Palo Alto Networks and talk about it. 

Hey there @Sm0001 ,

I think I kinda know what you are asking.. 

In other words, what product or feature do we think that helped grow Palo Alto Networks reputation and helped the product get as popular as it has been?

If that is the question.. then the FIRST answer is the Next Generation Firewall, along with the whole suite of features: User-ID, APP-ID, SSL Decryption, etc.  
Then Palo Alto Networks was able to add in Prisma, with it's whole suite of Cloud products.

And then finally with Cortex, with it's incident and response.. with it's suite of products. 

Palo Alto Networks has really grown exponentially over the years, and it is quite amazing to see it's growth.

I would like to hear what others think also.. because it can depend on perspective also.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

L5 Sessionator

To add to the above, the "idea on the napkin" if you will was to provide more visibility than a stateful inspection firewall. That idea is what allowed Checkpoint to come to prominence (and eventually fade some). 

The App-ID and Content-ID (scanning for threats) together in one place is sorta what gave Palo Alto all the venture capital and then a dedicated team of product management, devs, sales, and technical support came together to propel the idea and philosophy from stateful inspection towards "next generation."

A great resource may be to look up different kinds of firewalls, something like this. Explains some of the differences, why the world is moving away from port/protocol and stateful inspection towards something more flexible and efficient. That concept was a winning idea, and what kept PAN in the center of the map was solely focusing on it. Many other vendors have their resources pulled a lot of ways, for example Microsoft manages Cloud, Servers, AND a security group. This is all Palo does, so the laser focus typically shows in implementation.

Hope this helps! 

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!