Restrict VPN access to AD group

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Restrict VPN access to AD group

Not applicable

Hi,

I want to give a VPN ipsec access to a group of users.

In GlobalProtect Portal | Client Configuration, I set the AD group in Source User.

My problem : all the users in the AD OU have access to the VPN despite they're not in the group.

I must have missed something ...

Someone already had this issue ?

Thanx.

18 REPLIES 18

L6 Presenter

Hi...When you define the Authentication Profile, you would select the desired AD group(s) under the 'Allow List'.  You then set Global Protect to use this auth profile and only those users in these group will be permitted.

Thanks.

Hi,

In Authentication Profile, under the 'Allow List', I can't see my AD groups.

I’ve tried to manually enter the group name but it doesn't work.

In User Identification | Group Mapping, I've been able to include all the AD groups I want to use. And I can see these groups in GlobalProtect Portal | Client Configuration | Source User.

Thanx

Hi,

In Authentication Profile, under the 'Allow List', I can't see my AD groups.

I’ve tried to manually enter the groups but it doesn’t work.

In User Identification | Group Mapping, I've been able to include all the AD groups I want to use. And I can see these groups in GlobalProtect Portal | Client Configuration |Source User.

Thanx

Within the Authentication Profile, please make sure you set the authentication=LDAP and set the Server Profile=LDAP server.

Also, what version of PAN-OS are you running?

Within the Authentication Profile, authentication was already set to LDAP and the Server Profile was already set.

I'm running PAN-OS 4.1.2.

If your network has many AD groups, we may not be able to display all the groups.  Maybe you can type in a few letters and allow the system to search for groups matchin those letter.  If that does not work and you have tried manually typing in the group names, then I suggest you open a case with support.  Thanks.

Thank you very much for your help.

I'll open a case.

I beleive that this is a bug.  We are also running 4.1.2 and I cannot set any OUs in our authentication profile either!  Please update when you get your case resolved.

Thanks!!

Yes, it has been identified as a bug and is targeted to be fixed in the  next release, 4.1.3. The workaround is to set the Allow List to 'all'  under the Authentication Profile and define a Security Rule to allow access only to the specific AD group.  Thanks.

OK, thanks again for your help.

L1 Bithead

Hi there,

I'm running release 5.0.0, and I'm facing a similar problem.

For a vpn access, I created an authentication profile for a ldap group of users. In the allow list, the existing ldap groups are not displayed, so I cannot select the desired group.

It seems to be related to the bug mentionned in this thread, doesn't it?

Was this bug not fixed?

Thanks for your help.

This bug was fixed in 4.1.4 I believe. Have you added the LDAP groups you wish to use under Device-> User Identification-> Group Mappings? Do they show up in the CLI when you perform a "show user group name ?" ?

In fact, after having added the LDAP groups in Group Mappings, they appeard in the CLI and I can select them in  the allow list.

However, it is not working properly while testing. A user belonging to one LDAP group cannot be authenticated with the corresponding Authentication Profile.

After a talk with a Palo Alto representative, it seems to be a bug and a case has been opened.

Thanks.

Has this bug been squashed? I'm setting my groups under the authentication profile and I still can't authenticate myself unless I use All.

• 18 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!