Security policies did not take effect after Sleep Mode

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Security policies did not take effect after Sleep Mode

L2 Linker

Hi,

Just like to find out if there is a known  issue with Palo Alto and Windows 8 for direct internet policy.  Currently, we have defined a policy in PA to allow AD user to connect to internet.  However, based on my observation, once my notebook goes to sleep mode, then wake up, then login the policy doesn’t seem to take effect.  To gain direct internet access what I need to do is to log off then log in again.

Thanks,

Xer

4 REPLIES 4

L3 Networker

Hello,

One good test to to check whether the PA loses the Ip-user mapping up on switching the laptop to sleep mode ( which is the reason why the user does not hit the policy created for him), we could check the ip-user mapping table on the PA using the command.

>>show user ip-user-mapping all.

That will give us a better indication of how to avoid that.

I would understand why a log off and log on would reinstate the mapping considering the fact the PA will look at the event logs of the DC to track LOG ON success events to enumerate user to ip mapping

Hi Chatri,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm just wondering why PA lost the ip-user-mapping considering that the user didn't logged off? Isn't it a bug in PA?

Hi Xer,

The Palo Alto will will not know if the device is in sleep mode or not.

The Palo Alto will only look at four event Ids in the security logs of the domain controller to get the mappings ( all four event IDs correspond to log on events, the PA does not see the Log off events).

But yes, having said that when the PC is turned on from the sleep mode the DC should record an event of the user getting logged on and the PA should get the mapping back.

It wont be a bad idea to open up a TAC case to see what exactly is causing the mapping to be lost.

I hope that is helpful.

Hi Chatri,

Thanks for the support. But, after further investigation we think the problem is the communication of PANAgent to Palo Alto Firewall. The connection is intermittent and if we issue a ping command, the connection is stable. I attached the screenshot I got from the system log. every 2 to 10 minutes the agent gets disconnected. Have you encountered this before?

Thanks.

PANAgent.jpg

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!