Settings inheritance thru Template-Stack ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Settings inheritance thru Template-Stack ?

L3 Networker

If I have two devices in the same Template-Stack, will member template enforce same setting on both devices including i.e. same L3 addresses ? This is what I want to avoid

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

if one of the templates in that stack defines L3 IP addressing for an interface, it applies to all the devices assigned to that template stack.

since the concept behind the template stack is you can combine bits and pieces of various templates to apply partial configs to selected devices, ultimately you should have a unique stack for each device, or HA pair of devices. it just gives you the benefit of being able to create partial templates (snippets) that you can re-use across multiple template stacks.

--
CCNA Security, PCNSE7

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L4 Transporter

if one of the templates in that stack defines L3 IP addressing for an interface, it applies to all the devices assigned to that template stack.

since the concept behind the template stack is you can combine bits and pieces of various templates to apply partial configs to selected devices, ultimately you should have a unique stack for each device, or HA pair of devices. it just gives you the benefit of being able to create partial templates (snippets) that you can re-use across multiple template stacks.

--
CCNA Security, PCNSE7

L3 Networker

Yeah, makes sense. I also found excellent article about using multiple templates.  Method 3 (Use template stacks) is the way to go for myself. The comment reads 'PAN-OS 7.0.X only' but I think it author meant 7+

yes, definitely applies to 7.0+ (and 8).

you may also want to seek out the free self paced training for Panorama in the Palo Alto Networks Education website. the whole thing is just 2 hours or so, but there's a section on template stacks which helps demonstrate how the policies are applied when using multiple templates.

--
CCNA Security, PCNSE7
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!