show system disk-space

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

show system disk-space

L4 Transporter

Is this information still correct for 7.1.16 , I am trying to plan my upgrdae from 7.1.16 to some version of 8 and trying to make sure I have enough space on the disk to do it

/dev/md6             - PAN-OS Image repository.(Device/Software)

/dev/md2             - Service related logs.

/dev/md8 -          - Allocated for PAN logs.

/dev/md5            - Pan-OS configuration.

18 REPLIES 18

@jdprovine,

This is something that would best be done just prior to actually doing the upgrade. If you follow the approved method the firewall can actually do all of the storage calculations for you for the most part. The only time that this wasn't really true is when you were simply downloading the base image and then installing the latest maintenance release; and this was just because it was hard to calculate how much diskspace it took to explode both images and build a working install image from the bits from both. 

@BPry

Make sense that you would especially want to do it right before an upgrade.  I don't understand this comment

"If you follow the approved method the firewall can actually do all of the storage calculations for you for the most part. "

@jdprovine,

Just like other systems the firewall will do a storage requirement check when you go to install a new software image. If you have enough storage space it will continue with the install; if you do not it throws an error and the install will stop with a warning message along the lines that you don't have enough disk space. 

This was difficult for the firewall to calculate when you were doing the old 'download base image, install maintenance image' method as it needed to explode both images to disk and make a working install image with bits and pieces from both. Essentially the firewall would sometimes get the calculations wrong and would run out of diskspace, because it really had no idea what would actually be needed. Following the new method of installing the base image, then installing the maintenance image makes it so that the firewall has a far easier time ensuring it has the space to continue. 

@BPry

In all the upgrades I have done over the years I don't remember ever seeing that, so you are saying when you go to install it will check as part of the install and only throw the error if it cannot continue. So I have probably not seen the error cause I have always had the room to do it.

• 18 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!