Sinkhole explosion

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Sinkhole explosion

L2 Linker

Since midday yesterday (Monday Jan 26th) we've seen an explosion in sinkhole detections.
Previous moths sees one ot two a day in average, latest 24 hrs we've had more than 16.000 detections. This started after the antivirusupdate on Monday.

When checking a few of the domains via on-line URL-checking tools, no suspicious content is detected.

Latest antivirus signature contained a lot of Suspicious DNS adresses, but none of 'ours'

Has anyone else seen this ?

All DNS requests are blocked so no dangerous situation appears, but we suspect most of these requests to be false positive.

Can someone at PaloAlto check on this please?

12 REPLIES 12

L0 Member

As per ECommand, this is brought up in the other thread.  There is a bug in the latest AV update that is causing DNS queries to be caught.

L7 Applicator

Hello Haverstad,

There is a large number of changes made on the recent Antivirus database version, regarding DNS signature. Almost 80,000 new DNS signatures has been added to this database. Could you please let me know the AV version currently installed on your PAN firewall.

Thanks

L4 Transporter

Interesting as today I enabled Spyware and Virus signatures on outbound DNS from our Domain Controllers and we're also seeing thousands of hits/matches.

Domains such as:

• d.audienceiq.com
  • d.p-td.com
  • p.adsymptotic.com

They flag as Spyware so I assume it's the anti-spyware signatures catching them?

Fair to say I switched off email notifications pretty quickly Smiley Happy

L1 Bithead

Phew! Same here. I am going email crazy!!

L4 Transporter

Hi - we have also seen this huge explosion in DNS alerts.

We have also noticed an odd aspect - the domain name in the Palo UI alert appears to be different to the email alerts generated by Palo e.g.

• Panorama UI log entry shows Suspicious DNS Query (generic:bam.nr-data.net) - ID 4091002
  • but the email generated from the event shows: Suspicious DNS Query (generic:ozgghm.com)(4091002)

so the same ID reference, but a different domain.

Rgds

L4 Transporter

I am seeing this as well. Crazy!

We're running AV 1473-1947, daily automatic update.

L2 Linker

After update to 1474-1949 things seems better.

It's now almost eerie quiet in my in-box

L0 Member

I'm seeing this same issue after a recent anti-virus update. Before I would only get maybe a few a day if that. Anyone else out there seeing this happen recently?

Same problem.

Example:

gmx.net will not work, because js.ui-portal.de will be detect as spyware. We have the problem with many content delivery Websites.

Thanks for the response Roger. Looks like an update yesterday for A/V signatures. I scanned a handful of PC's and none of them came up infected. Looks like a ton of false positives. I'm calling PA now to see what the deal is.

• 12 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!