Size limit for URL block list

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Size limit for URL block list

Not applicable

Is there a size limit for a URL block list, anad if so, what is it?  (I understand that there is a size limit on each URL...I am referring to the size of the entire list of URLs)

6 REPLIES 6

L4 Transporter

Hello,

the limit for the entire url list is 1000 entries for the allow list and block list together......this is significantly increased in software version 3.1.x and greater.

Please keep in mind that if you use an "*" in the url entry, much more memory is used. Especially if the "*" is in the middle or rear of the url entry.

thank you,

Stephen

Hello.

quick question

I'm currently using PA-2050 Firmeware.4.0.6.

customer asked me about the max limit of URL block list.

would you please teach me where I can able to find the correct current max list on my box?

I used below command set to extract the some value

- show system state

from there, I found two values.

cfg.general.max-blacklist : 25000

cfg.general.max-whitelist : 25000

is that the right comment to answer my question?

would you please share your idea?

thank you very much.

Hello,

Yes, those numbers are correct - the maximum number of entries (in your case 25,000) is for the entire device, and is shared across the allow list, block list, and custom categories. 

Hope this helps,

Doris

thank you very much!

have a nice day~

sorry to bump an old query but I'm having trouble adding URLs to both custom categories and block lists with filtering profiles

Adding via the GUI, I can't seem to add more than about 24 URLs to a block list or ~100 URLs to a custom category - no error message is displayed, when I click OK in either section, the dialogue box just stays on screen.  Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to use the CLI?

(this is with PAN-OS 4.1.2 on a 5060)

regards

Liam.

[edit - works via the CLI, but having added the URLs via the CLI if I then go to the GUI, click edit on the custom category and try to click ok *without* making any changes, it won't let me]

Hi Liam,

It sounds like you have a bug - could you file a case with Support so that we can properly address it?

Thanks,

Doris

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!