Sizing an appliance

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Sizing an appliance

L4 Transporter

I commented on threads outside the knowledgebase on sizing an appliance.  I thought I would start the discussion here as well. Usually we run the tap mode install to get the stats and found all the counters relevant to sizing the sessions etc by SPAN or Mirror of the main egress.  Datacenter is harder because you usually can't do that.

1 REPLY 1

L6 Presenter

Using tap-mode is the most foolproof way of find out real traffic (unless the customer has all its traffic in pcap files which then can be replayed using tcpreplay or such) given that the router/switch which is mirroring the traffic actually can do this without dropping packets. This way you will at least get the statistics (number of concurrent flows, bandwidth used etc).

Another method is to use VWIRE - however if you selected the wrong appliance then traffic will get affected.

So I guess its also a matter of how much you are willing to have a risk of disrupting current traffic.

If you are ok by this (like do this during a service window or such) then VWIRE would bring you a more real world experience if the selected appliance can deal with the current traffic load or not.

Because even if the numbers in the PA datasheets seems to be less imaginary (compared with competitors) they are still "measured under ideal situations". Which gives that an appliance which is rated for 20Gbit/s doesnt necessary have this throughput if the payloadsize is like 4kbyte instead of 1Mbyte.

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!