Skype and PBF

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Skype and PBF

L4 Transporter

Hi all,

We have two ISP's connected to our PA FW (4.1.5). ISP A (e1/5) is the default for all outbound internet traffic. ISP B (e1/7) is the backup link. Now we would like to use the backup link for all skype related traffic. Until now I did not have success.

I have created the follwoing PBF rule:

PBF-Rule.jpg

But skype still gets forwarded to ISP A. Is there anything missing ?

TNX Roland

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

Hello,

Here is a snippet from the admin guide on using apps with PBF:

"The initial session on a given destination IP address and port that is associated with an application will not match an application-specific rule and will be forwarded according to subsequentPBF rules (that do not specify an application) or the virtual router’s forwarding table. Allsubsequent sessions on that destination IP address and port for the same application willmatch an application-specific rule. To ensure forwarding through PBF rules, application specific rules are not recommended."

which means the PBF rule will not match 100% of the time. PBF routing is determined by the first packet and most of the apps we have are not identified with the first packet which implies this will take the normal routing route. After the app is identified, the subsequent sessions of the same app with same src and destn will match the PBF rule. Again, it is not recommended to use apps with PBF.

Thanks,

Sri

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

L0 Member

Hi Roland,

is the PBF working correctly at all with the 4.1.5 in your setup?

I'm asking because we are running the 4.1.5 too.

And we have the "funny" issue that the traffic is routed to both interfaces to the pbf created gateway and the default gw.

This leads to very slow connections and of course connections with to different public IP-addresses. (the ip via pbf = tcp_established and the via default gw = tcp_syn)

We already opened a case but PAN will not look at our system until Monday.

But I believe it's a bug in 4.1.5

Maybe you can check that?

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

good point. I have gone through some further testing. I tried the same for app web-browsing and it worked at least a sort of...

this is my PBF rule for web-browsing

PBF.jpg

And this is what I see in the traffic log for web-traffic

PBF-log.jpg

As you see not all the web-browsing traffic is leaving the correct interface according the PBF rule....

This is confusing me even more. I tried to use the easiest case with the app web-browsing, it has no dependencies and schould be fairly easy to identify from an APP-ID perspective.

Maybe indeed a bug ? Who knows ?

Roland

If I have understood previous info regarding PBF correctly using application for PBF is not recommended by the manual.

That is because the initial syn/synack/ack will go out through whatever your VROUTER tells it to use (your regular defgw, lets say ISP-A).

Not until the flow is recognized as web-browsing (or whatever) it will use ISP-B as nexthop.

The problem here comes if you use SNAT at the same time.

This means that the webserver first receives a syn/synack/ack from ISP-A ip and then suddently regular packets through ISP-B.

This will of course (in most cases) fail at the server side since the stuff from ISP-B didnt handshake properly.

L5 Sessionator

Hello,

Here is a snippet from the admin guide on using apps with PBF:

"The initial session on a given destination IP address and port that is associated with an application will not match an application-specific rule and will be forwarded according to subsequentPBF rules (that do not specify an application) or the virtual router’s forwarding table. Allsubsequent sessions on that destination IP address and port for the same application willmatch an application-specific rule. To ensure forwarding through PBF rules, application specific rules are not recommended."

which means the PBF rule will not match 100% of the time. PBF routing is determined by the first packet and most of the apps we have are not identified with the first packet which implies this will take the normal routing route. After the app is identified, the subsequent sessions of the same app with same src and destn will match the PBF rule. Again, it is not recommended to use apps with PBF.

Thanks,

Sri

Okay since it is not recommended to use apps in PBF and not working reliably why is it a configurable option ?

Other than creating FUD and support calls I don't see any benefit ....

Roland

I was about to ask the same question...

Reasons I can see:

1) Efficient way to find out who is actually reading the manual(s) and who doesnt? 😉

2) For non-NAT situations (for example if you have Internetrouter <-> PA <-> ISP) you can use the PA device to let specific application traffic use a dedicated interface either for performance reasons or for capture reasons (send a specific application through a dedicated interface where you have a switch with span enabled to record the application(s) you are interrested of).

The performance reason could also have to do with QoS - its easier for your router to statically prioritze incoming traffic at a specific interface instead of having the router try to find out what is youtube (as example) and what isnt. This way your internetrouter could (for example) put youtube traffic on a lower QoS priority where the PA is the device to identify what should go for int 0/1 and what should go out at int 0/2 (without having to enable QoS in PA).

I think it would be bad if this option is removed, however it should possibly be a better warning in the GUI that "are you really sure you know what you are doing? see section x.x in admin gui for more info why we bugger you with this red text" or something shorter...

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!