slow ftp log export

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

slow ftp log export

L4 Transporter

PA2020.

Exporting logs using ftp seems extremely slow. We are talking about speeds around 30 KB/s, this on a full GB network to a ftp server with fast storage. Logs are big (easily over 10GB) so it would take days to export them.

How can I speed things up ? Is there an alternative (like: using the usb port on the device ?

7 REPLIES 7

Not applicable

Hi,

The USB ports are currently not in use so that wouldn't work.

If the traffic from the firewall's FTP service route and the FTP server changes zones, it's possible that an anti-virus or QoS policy be applied. That might explain why so little data reaches the FTP server.

That's the first thing I would check, examine the logs to see if traffic from the firewall to the FTP server is matching an AV or a QoS policy.

Not applicable

Perhaps you can check for a duplex mismatch on the mgmt port?  I remember on the PA-2000 series, there were some issues with link negotiation when plugged into Cisco switches.

FTP went through management, so no policies involved.

Thanks for putting me in the right direction. Seems like the management port was indeed connected to an older switch on FastEthernet.

Moved it straight to our core switch (Cisco), negotiated fine.

I will do another export to see if (and it should) it's faster.

Doesn't seem to be any faster.

Management CPU is probably the bottleneck, seeing it being maxed out during transfer and responding slower than usual to commands.

Any way to force the export over a normal interface ? Data plane should be more powerful I guess...

Check in service route configuration (Device > Setup > Services, click on Service Route Configuration) if you can reroute just the uploads to use a specific dataplane interface instead of the mgmt-interface.

I already checked that, there is no "upload" service to configure.serviceroutes.png

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!