Slow VPN access

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Slow VPN access

L4 Transporter

I have a user that is on wireless at home and using the VPN to access files and folders on the network and he says it is slow. I told him to hardwire in to his switch and see if that helps. Any other areas I should check to see if the VPN? might be causing any of these issues: 

5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

He says that connecting via hardware did not help, is there anyway to troubleshoot if the issue is at his home, or the VPN 

Hi @jdprovine

Difficult topic to troubleshoot ... specially because in most of the cases the problem is the internet access or network of the user ...

1. Does only one user has these problems?
  2. Is this problem in general or with specific connections, applications, protocols?
  3. What MTU is set on the tunnel interface?
  4. Did you change the MTU on the client or is it on the default value of 1400?
  5. PAN-OS and GP Client version?
  6. IPSec or SSL VPN? Specially in cases where the user complains about problems?
  7. QoS configured which may be slows down some connections?

@Remo

Yes very difficult to troubleshoot when it involves equipment that you have no control over but you don't want to just make them think you are just blowing them off

1. Does only one user has these problems?  - only one that I am aware of
  2. Is this problem in general or with specific connections, applications, protocols? he just says that he is having problems with with folders that have alot of images in them, can't say that surprises me
  3. What MTU is set on the tunnel interface? I believe the MTU is set to does not seem to be set
  4. Did you change the MTU on the client or is it on the default value of 1400? so if its not set is it then on the default of 1400
  5. PAN-OS and GP Client version? version 4
  6. IPSec or SSL VPN? Specially in cases where the user complains about problems? SSL VPN which I know is slowed and has more overhead
  7. QoS configured which may be slows down some connections? QoS is not configured onthe firewall

2. Did you already ask the user if the access is faster when he opens the same folder NOT over VPN?

2.a) SMB and if yes, what version?

3. Here I meant the MTU on the tunnelinterface on your PA

4. Without manually changing GP sets the value to 1400 at the installation

4.a) is a Ping through the tunnel with the following command successful: "ping -f -l 1372 <internal dst>"? Or what is the highest length that works? (Needs to be allowed on the destination and also in the zone protection profile)

6. Yes there is more overhead which has a negative impact in some cases.

7. Are there a lot of users connected at that times?

@Remo

2. Did you already ask the user if the access is faster when he opens the same folder NOT over VPN? I did not, I just assumed it was since he never complains about it when he is here

2.a) SMB and if yes, what version? - I don't know but I know we upgraded to the most secure recently

3. Here I meant the MTU on the tunnelinterface on your PA - not the tunnel interface for the VPN tunnel? not sure what you mean

4. Without manually changing GP sets the value to 1400 at the installation - okay then I would assume it is set to 1400 the default

4.a) is a Ping through the tunnel with the following command successful: "ping -f -l 1372 <internal dst>"? Or what is the highest length that works? (Needs to be allowed on the destination and also in the zone protection profile) -  I will have to get on the vpn myself to test this

6. Yes there is more overhead which has a negative impact in some cases.

7. Are there a lot of users connected at that times? - there are never alot of users on the VPN at any time I would say 10 or less

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!