Threat exception for selected hosts

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Threat exception for selected hosts

L4 Transporter

Hi,

We have defined vulnerability group which consists of AV, Anti-Spyware and Vulnerability profile. The vulnerability profile is configured to block critical events and alert on high and med. I have a need to except few hosts which are alerting for SSH brute force (high). How do I achieve this? Assuming if I configure new profile group and policy for selected hosts, do I need to keep on doing that for every exception in future?

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

Try to work on on few profiles (I have 6 here) that you apply in different cases.

example:

• profile "Web Client" to protect yout users from internet
  • profile "Web server" to protect your web farms from outside
  • profile "All ReadOnly" just to 'watch' at traffic and get alerts
  • profile "Paranoid All Protect" for DMZ streams....

Yes I can configure multiple however I am worried about how my config will look in future. In your case, the profiles are still purpose specific and I dont have any issue with similar ones. Assume creating multiple profiles for different src/dst. I was wondering if there is any other way to get it done.

Do I need to create a specific vulnerability profile or create a new profile group with all other threat profiles? What will happen if I create a policy on the top with only vulnerability profile on top (for specific protocol). Will other traffic still hit my default profile with all threat profiles?

It seems that PANOS 5.0 allows IP specific exceptions in profiles.

What would be great for me is the ability to create a profile that is "derived" from another one : Profile B = Profile A + specific settings . 

I just came to know from SE that IP exceptions in profiles is available with 5.0.0 so you are right. I will wait for few more releases before upgrading my production devices.

Yes I thought of cloning my default profile and add exception. Now the only question is profile group or single profile? For traffic other than the specific port one will fall thru default policy.

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!