Upgrade Process Using Panorama

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Upgrade Process Using Panorama

Not applicable

I have read all the upgrade documentation for PanOS 4.0.1 and its seems very clear on how to upgrade the units themselves. What I have not found is supported process for upgrading an environment that uses Panorama. We have Panorama and MANY 4000 series PA's running 3.1.5 code today. What would be the supported process/order for ugrading Panorama and the PA devices? Moreover, can I run 4.0.1 on Panorma and only some PA devices while other continue running 3.1.5 code?

Thanks,

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

Easy one first.... Yes the 4.0 Panorama can manage older versions 3.1.x. There are some features in 4.0 that do not exist in 3.1 so these will be dropped when configuring a 3.1 system.

For Firewall Updates, you can continue to have the firewall  poll the update servers and pull down content at regular intervals just like systems with no Panorama server. Or you can use Panorama as a central update server but this is a manual process. The Admin will use the console to look for software updates. Then you will select the updates (3.1.8 for 2000 Chassis), the you will select the devices from your list of managed devices and push the image to the selected firewalls. I believe you have the option to send the image only  or to send and install.

Steve Krall

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

L4 Transporter

Easy one first.... Yes the 4.0 Panorama can manage older versions 3.1.x. There are some features in 4.0 that do not exist in 3.1 so these will be dropped when configuring a 3.1 system.

For Firewall Updates, you can continue to have the firewall  poll the update servers and pull down content at regular intervals just like systems with no Panorama server. Or you can use Panorama as a central update server but this is a manual process. The Admin will use the console to look for software updates. Then you will select the updates (3.1.8 for 2000 Chassis), the you will select the devices from your list of managed devices and push the image to the selected firewalls. I believe you have the option to send the image only  or to send and install.

Steve Krall

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!