URL categories not being resolved

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

URL categories not being resolved

L2 Linker

Hi,

Our PAN 2020 is setup for URL filtering. After a reboot  we're now getting excessive matches for the "unknown" category. It appears URLs are not looked up on "Dynamic DB" and "Cloud DB".

Ex:

(active)> test url www.nds.org.au

www.nds.org.au society (Dynamic db)

(active)> test url-resolve-path www.nds.org.au

URL www.nds.org.au, category unknown

As per instructions from previous threads I've tried to remove www.nds.org.au from the URL cache:

(active)> clear url-cache url www.nds.org.au

This command requires the Palo Alto Networks URL filtering database.

What does the "This command requires the Palo Alto Networks URL filtering database." mean?  We are running URL DB version 3933 and FW says it is the latest update.

Many thanks for any direction on resolving this issue.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

As per TAC's instructions we had to revert to a earlier version of the URL database (then clear cache). We've then upgraded back to the current version. So far it is behaving correctly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

L6 Presenter

And the license is not expired?

L5 Sessionator

Hello,

Make sure that dynamic url filtering is enabled.

The Following command is not readily available until the next major release:-        

> clear url-cache url.

The available commands are > clear url-cache all

>delete dynamic-url host all

(This will clear dynamic database cache)

and retry the above test commands.

If this still persists open a case with support to assist you further.

Thank yuou.

Subijith Raghunandan.

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. We have dynamic filtering enabled. License is well and truly current. We've already tried the "clear url-cache" which didn't help. We've now logged a case with support.

Thanks.

As per TAC's instructions we had to revert to a earlier version of the URL database (then clear cache). We've then upgraded back to the current version. So far it is behaving correctly.

Not applicable

in the last two recent updates palo and birght cloud are having issues and its causing alot on not-resolved results for sites that are normally ok. its getting annoying as we have to wait half a day or more for aplo/brightcloud to fix the problem. not what you expect for the kind of money you have to pay for it. I think palo need to look at a new company instead of bright cloud as they are not that great on url calssification always having to submit misclasified ones. we have had Palo for a year now and concidering looking at a new filtering alternative. never had issues light this when we had websense. the thing that is anoying you cannot contact palo direct you have to go through a partner for issues and then you find there knowledge is limited.

darren

Brightcloud were completely down for several hours this morning - no URLs that had to be sent to the cloud db were resolving and I couldn't even look up URLs on their website (in the end we had to allow the "not-resolved" category to restore level of service to our users).  Its supposed to be a distributed cloud based solution, I'm not impressed that they can suffer such a major failure.

it was the same last week they had issues as well. and its taking them most the morning to resolve them both times. not great at all and no one seems to give you any information why. or palo does not alert end users that they have issues with there updates or that services are down.

Millfield School,

Latest update at this point is:

Brightcloud servers are up and running.  Can you please upgrade to the latest URL database version and clear up the URL cache and give it go.  Hopefully, everything should fall in place. 

L4 Transporter

Millfield School,

I have just realised that version 3956 has been released.  Can you please upgrade and check the URL categorization now.

The one website that you had emailed me a while back is now being classified as business and economy (Cloud dB) on version 3955.  I am very hopeful that you're issues should be sorted out with version 3956.

Regards,

Kalyan

• 1 accepted solution
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!