URL Filter update - users not seeing changes?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

URL Filter update - users not seeing changes?

L3 Networker

1.  If a URL is incorrectly categorized, I submit a change to Brightcloud.

2. Brightcloud emails me the next day (or two) and says the change was accepted and is in the latest DB.

3. I confirm on Brightcloud's website that the URL is newly categorized and what version of the DB it is in.

4. I confirm that my PAN devices have that version of the URL DB (or later). If not, I perform a manual update (via CLI).

But when I try to browse the site, I'm still seeing the old classification for that site (which is blocked by policy).

Is there a delay from when the update occurs before the system sees the new category? Can I cycle a service on the box to make this quicker?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L1 Bithead

You must clear the URL-cache on the command line: clear url-cache

Regards,

Rainer

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L1 Bithead

You must clear the URL-cache on the command line: clear url-cache

Regards,

Rainer

Awsome, thank you.

Just to elaborate a little more, URLs are cached on your device, so even if you see a category update via the BrightCloud website, you must wait for the device cache to expire before it can pick up the new categorization.  Clearing your entire cache will certainly force a cloud lookup since the URL in question would no longer be cached on your device, but do keep in mind that you would be clearing your entire cache.

How long does it take for a device cache to time out?

By default, the cache has a timeout value of 24 hrs.  We recently identified a bug recently where this variable was not getting configured properly, but this should be addressed in a future release (meaning you'll be able to configure this to a number of your choosing).

Great post:smileylaugh:

We are facing a problem with a lot of "unknown" URL's (Brightcloud DB) although the URLs in question are well known sites. We already filed a case but the problem could not get fixed until now. We are on 5.0.7.

After clearing the url-cache all works fine again for a unknown amount of time (days,weeks). But clearing the url-cache manually every now and then cannot be the solution.

Now I am reading about a bug in the cache timeout value.

dyang schrieb:

By default, the cache has a timeout value of 24 hrs.  We recently identified a bug recently where this variable was not getting configured properly, but this should be addressed in a future release (meaning you'll be able to configure this to a number of your choosing).

Can you give us some more info about this one ?

rgds Roland

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!