URL Filtering: Can't Block website when user use Google Cache

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

URL Filtering: Can't Block website when user use Google Cache

L2 Linker

Hi all,

I want to block a website whe user user google cache or translate.

In the past i tested everything ok, Palo Alto could block when user use google cach or translate.

But today, Palo Alto can't block website when user use google cache ( But can block google translate )

Pls help me know why!!

Thanks

I creat URL profile

block 1.PNG

Palo Alto Block website www.gambling.com

block 2.PNG

Palo ALto Block when user use Google Translate

block 3.PNG

BUT Palo Alto Can't Block when user use google cache !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

block 4.PNG

6 REPLIES 6

L3 Networker

Hello Dat Tran

Below is an excerpt from the 6.0 New feature guide. Please refer to page # 25 and you will find the below information in detail.

New Features Guide 6.0 (English)

URL Filtering Search Engine Cached Site Enhancement:

Search engine caching enhances the URL filtering engine such that URL filtering policies will also be applied

when end-users attempt to view the Google and Internet Archive cached copies of websites. There are no

configuration changes required for these features.

When performing a Google search, most search results will show a green arrow to the right of the URL to access

a cached version of the site as follows:

You can also put the prefix cache: before a URL in the Google search field to bring up the cached page. When

the cached site comes up, note that the URL is prefixed by the Google cache URL as follows:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/. If a URL filtering policy for Computer and Internet

Info was set to block, which is the category for the Palo Alto Networks domain, the action would not occur

because the URL filtering engine would only look at the webcache.googleusercontent.com URL,

which is in the Search Engine category. With this new feature, the entire URL is analyzed, so in this example,

paloaltonetworks.com would be blocked.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Khan

Hi Khan
I known this feature,

but i can't understand why few week ago, i tested block google cache, everything ok.

But now, when i retest, it doesn't work.

You can see in my post, Palo Alto can block google translate, but i Can bypass by using google cache.

PS: my OS version is 6.0.4

I try many time, sometime Palo Alto can block google translate

what happen to my device??????

block 5.PNG

Hello Dat Tran

I think you are referring to google web cache in the above comment.

I tested the same in the lab and was able to block gambling.com successfully.

Regards

Khan

Hi Khan,

I tested againt and understood why

In my post, i use win XP and IE 7 >> Palo alto can't block

When i use Windows 7 and IE 11 >> everthing ok, palo alto can block when user use google cache..

Smiley Happy but what different between IE 7 and IE 11

L0 Member

Hi,

I still have the same problem. URL filtering is't working for either Google cached search results or Google translate.

blocked.PNGnot-blocked.PNG

I've tried different web browsers, but the results are the same.

And yes, the search and translate sessions are beeing decrypted.

I'm on version 7.1.3.

Is anyone else still experiencing this issue?

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!