URL filtering

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

URL filtering

L4 Transporter

I am trying to elminate my ISA 2006 server and use url filtering. The setting to use the ISA server were applied using a GPO that sets the internet options/connections to user the proxy server. I modified the GPO and have confirmed that the internet options setting was removed from the users pc's. But the users are still going to the old proxy server, what is the best way to check to see what might be sending them to the proxy server and if its the PA that is routing them there still?

30 REPLIES 30

Hello Infotech,

From the routing table of the PAN firewall, it looks like the default route is pointing towards the primary-ISP for all internet traffic (0.0.0.0/0) and if a packet comes for specific destination 172.16.0.0/12, then only it will redirect to the next VR "Secondary". Hence, PAN will not redirect internet traffic towards the POXY. You may need to check the Laptop settings once more.

Thanks

So are you telling me that the route is not sending the traffic to the proxy?

Yes,

If the end-user's laptop/desktop sending traffic to 172.16.1.11, then only PAN will send it to the PROXY, else for all public destination IP address, the PAN firewall will route  towards the Primary-ISP.

Thanks

I don't see anything indicating that the pc is sending the traffic to the proxy I removed the internet options that would send it to the proxy

have you solved the issue ?

The users are sent to the ISA 2006 server via a GPO. I am in the process of trying to remove all references to the proxy server so that they no longer to go it but are using the URL filtering on the PA. Some seem to still be going to the proxy but I haven't determined the reason yet

L1 Bithead

Infotech, if you installed the TMG/ISA firewall client on your PC's it must be removed or disabled. Also you will want to disable the auto discover features in ISA. If you are using WPAD entries via DHCP or DNS you will want to eliminate those.

The client was not installed on any of the pc's it was just being sent to the proxy by using a group policy. I do not see it in the server options in DHCP or a DNS reference to it

What happens if you use a browser like Firefox that is not beholden to the GPO (unless you are using a Firefox ADM file) ensuring that the connections settings is set to "No proxy"

We were using TMG 2010 prior to switching over to PA. It was a great change, but I do miss a thing or to about ISA/TMG.

we do not user anything but IE and the GPO was setting the internet connetions to the proxy server but I removed those references from the GPO

Only suggesting as a troubleshooting step to observe behavior, it could help you narrow down the issue. I am not suggesting that you make a company wide browser change.

Is your train of thought that the proxy settings that are modified by the use of a GPO will not apply to another browser such as fox fire or chrome?

so problem is not related to Paloalto as I understand.

Standard GPO is for lack of a better term is ignored by Firefox. Chrome looks at and grabs the settings in "Internet Options" in the control panel by default, so I find Firefox to be a better way to test and troubleshoot weird issues like this.

There is an ADM/ADMX file that you can add to your domain controllers and manage Firefox much like you can manage IE from a GPO standpoint. As long as that had not been done in your environment, the Firefox settings are set to "No Proxy" and there is nothing like the ISA Firewall Client installed on your PC's that is intercepting and tunneling traffic to your ISA Server, then all traffic from that PC "should" follow your standard TCP/IP routes and all traffic, web and otherwise will go through your Palo Alto Firewall and URL filtering will be applied to all traffic where the policy on the PA applies your URL Filtering Security Policy.

That is what I am trying to confirm. I have eliminated all references to the ISA server in the GPO's and it still goes through the ISA server

• 30 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!