User ID agent on Vista/Win7

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

User ID agent on Vista/Win7

Not applicable

Is there a timeline available for when the User ID agent will work on Windows 7?  I need to plan a rollout of new PC's early next year, and I need to know if they are going to need downgrades to XP for any length of time.  I know that the captive portal should still work, but not having to authenticate was a big plus in getting buy in for the new firewalls.

Thanks,

Bill

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

There should not be any issue identifying users on Vista or Windows 7 machines. The statement of supported platforms for the User Identification Agent is independent of the platform the users are running as the agent does not run on the end-user PCs. It runs on the Domain Controllers or on a machine that can connect to the Domain Controllers to get user information.

Hope this helps.

Mike

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L4 Transporter

There should not be any issue identifying users on Vista or Windows 7 machines. The statement of supported platforms for the User Identification Agent is independent of the platform the users are running as the agent does not run on the end-user PCs. It runs on the Domain Controllers or on a machine that can connect to the Domain Controllers to get user information.

Hope this helps.

Mike

That makes so much more sense, thank you!  I was under the impression that the agent ran on every user's desktop.  It's even better than I thought!  :smileygrin:

I'm glad I stopped by!

My concern was, 'Does the agent have to run on every pc on the network?'

Now it is obvious that it runs on a machine, not every machine.

(I wish the admin guide (pdf) would be updated to reflect that.)

Thanks!

Hi Mike,

If the IT person doesn't want to put the agent on a domain controller, but rather on a PC to query the DC.

Does the agent support other platforms besides XP and Server 2003?

Server 2008/Vista/Win7 32-bit/Win7 64-bit?

Thanks,

-Keith

The agent can be one any computer on the network that can talk to the Domain Controller or where ever the Active Directory server is.

For instance, I placed our agent on a virtual machine with Windows Server 2008 on it.

Hope this helps.

the agent does support all platforms that you stated.  however, if you place the agent on a server 2008 machine you have to be logged into that machine as the local admin account to that machine in order to get the service to run.  I am a domain admin on my network, and it doesn't allow me to start or stop the service.  This can be annoying as I spent about an hour on the phone with support to get this accomplished!  on XP it will run with any account that is an admin account, doesn't have to be a localadmin account.

The agent can query any machine as long as the ip associated to each machine is within the domain in which the domain controller is polling.

Thank you for that info, kamish!

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!