Viewing Rules in the Policy

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Viewing Rules in the Policy

L3 Networker

Hi - we use Panorama and 4050s all running 4.0.5. We have a lot of rules on this firewall for one reason or another (it's a port from Checkpoint of an internal datacentre firewall where there are lots of non-web applications etc). Anyway, I can find rules in the policy GUI fine - but what I'd like to be able to do is locate a specific rule quickly in relation to the other rules around it. On Checkpoint (sorry for the coimparison!) I could easily locate an object find out what rule it was being used in (by rule number - obviously they change but it would give me the rule number at that point) - i could then scroll easily to the rule and see the rules around it. I can't see any easy way of me negotiating to a rule (especially as the web based policy with the number of rules we have is slot and jerky - compared to checkpoint). Understanding where a rule is in a large rule base (and making a decision where you place a new rule) is very important to us!

Any help appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6

L4 Transporter

We do not have "Where Used" functionality in the product today. You can use a specific filter by name on a particular column (eg. source/member eq '<source address object name>') to thin down the rules and then remove the filter to view rules around the point of interest.

L2 Linker

I've noticed the same problem.  LOTS of scrolling required.

In the 3.x releases, you used be able to use the browser's 'find' function to match text anywhere in the policy.  In the 4.x releases they've changed to some sort of JS menus that work in such a way that the 'CTRL+F' will only match text that is currently rendered on screen.  Not very useful. 😞

Hi  mschuricht - when in the policy tab - if I use the find to find to locate a specific rule. I get only that rule in the policy window. If i then remove the filter - I do see the whole rulebase again - but NOT at the point in the rulebase where the rule i just searched for - I get taken back to the top of the rulebase again. Not very useful. I essentially want to be able to find a specific rule in the policy with a view of the rules that are around it (without having to scroll - which is not a good way of finding rules with the Palo Alto when you have a large rulebase).

L3 Networker

Bump!! - Anyone help with this issue?

+1.   Probably a WAD and need feature request. If there was indexing (even hidden) then focus could be restored on cookie state.

The comment by farrel_dougherty looks like a feature request (as frank_henry suggested).

Please get in touch with your sales team to make sure they can file a feature request on your behalf.

Thanks,

Benjamin

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!