why i must create vlan in paloalto firwall and not in cisco core switch ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

why i must create vlan in paloalto firwall and not in cisco core switch ?

L2 Linker

Hello

Plz i need an exact informations and ansewr plz and plz brothers 😘 !

what's the advantage/disadvantage of creating vlans on paloalto and not on cisco core switch ??

i need details informations plz, coz we have 2 sénarios possibles, and from my way i must give as an exact ansewr why we must create vlans on paloalto and not cisco core switch, and what's the advantage/disadvantage

thnks a lot

3 REPLIES 3

L2 Linker

#L2 Interfaces In a Layer2 deployment (Layer3 VLAN Interfaces (SVI) created in Layer3 Switch)

the firewall provides MAC layer switching between two or more logical networks. The network provides L2 connectivity between networks where firewall segmentation is desired without changing the L3 topology. Each group of interfaces must be assigned to a VLAN, and additional Layer 2 subinterfaces can be defined as needed. Choose this option when switching is required.

Advantages: Visibility into network traffic o Device can take action on the traffic, such as block or perform QoS

Disadvantages: The device does not participate in spanning tree

#L3 Interfaces In a Layer 3 deployment (Layer3 VLAN Interfaces (SVI)created in both Palo Alto Layer3 Switch)

the firewall routes traffic between multiple interfaces. An IP address must be assigned to each interface and a virtual router must be defined to route the traffic. Choose this option when routing or NAT is required.

Advantages: Full firewall functionality, such as traffic visibility, blocking traffic, rate limiting traffic, NAT, and routing, including support for common routing protocols

Disadvantages: Inserting device into network will require IP configuration changes on adjacent devices

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/twzvq79624/attachments/twzvq79624/IntegrationArticles/29/1/PaloAlt...

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Featured-Articles/Getting-Started-Layer-3-Subinterfaces/ta-p/67...

Fawaz El-Diasti
PCNSE 7, ACE PAN-OS 6.1, 7.0, 8.0

L7 Applicator

When you need to enforce security policies and restrictions on communications between vlans or hosts, the traffic must transit the PA firewall.

If there are no such restrictions, setting up the communications on the Cisco switches reduces the traffic and used capacity of your security inspection on the PA firewall so you have more head room for growth with traffic that does require inspection.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

i thank you all friends for your help, i appreciate it was very helpful @Feldiasti @pulukas

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!