why is it showed different CPU usage between a GUI and a CLI?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

why is it showed different CPU usage between a GUI and a CLI?

L3 Networker

Hi..

although it is almost same time, my machine shows different CPU usage between UI and CLI.
Of course it shows a little time difference, but it is a understandable time difference.

and then, it shows a big gap of a cpu usage between of them.
Is it a bug?? Or Original concept due to some reason?

A screenshot of a difference cpu usage is attached.

Please let me know.

Eugene.

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

The mark in top is idle time so cpu would be 100 - 55.7 = 44.3% to be compared with the 12% in GUI.

What comes to mind is if you runned GUI first and then check with CLI, because then cpu usage to render GUI would of course be viewable in the CLI unless you refresh GUI again (which I guess you already did before posting this question? 😉

Hi mikand

i asked similar question  here in knowledge point. but it has a little bit difference.

An attachment file shows a 55.7% as a idle.

i think that if calculate at 100 - 55.7=, it is real CPU usage.
why do you calculate  at 55.7- 44.3?

it is hard to understanding.

thanks,

Eugene.

Your read mark to the lower right shows "Management CPU 12%".

I interpret this as 12% of the CPU(s) for mgmt is currently in use.

Your read mark in the upper middle shows "55.7%id".

You should instead have marked the "38.1%us" with read color but sure 100% - 55.7% (idle) = 44.3% (so marking the idle percent is not wrong).

Something to think about when doing top is how top presents cpu usage.

There is both "irix mode" and "solaris mode".

One of them is % per cpu and one is % in total.

Which means that with 4 cores and 1 core is running at 100% (and the other at 0%) would with one method mean "25%" usage (since you have 3 unused cores as example) while the other method would show "100%" (but where the top usage would be 400% since 4x100% = 400%).

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!