YIK YAK

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

YIK YAK

Not applicable

Due to Cyber-bullying issues we have blocked access to Yik-Yak over our Campus Wi-Fi network. The application filter worked for a few weeks but after a recent update to the yik yak app the filter is no longer functioning. I have had to resort to blocking IP's which is becoming a hassle since they have spread their service all over AWS.

Any idea when this may get patched up in the filter?

William

7 REPLIES 7

L6 Presenter

Hi William,

Block "yik-yak" application via policy. When you say its no longer working, there are two possiblities.

1. Firewall identifies it as "yik-yak" traffic and allows it.

2. Firewall doesnt identify as a "yik-yak" traffic and allow it.

If option 1 is true than its a configuration issue.

If option 2 is true than yik-yak application decoder is changed. Firewall doesnt know new decoder. In that case open a TAC case. Provide captures from end client and firewall. And TAC will update decoder.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Firewall detects it as before and blocks it. However the app looks like it falls back to other connection methods to circumvent.  It pauses a moment then makes makes connections across AWS hosted servers  on 80 and 443

Hi Wmumper,

Actually still firewall should be able to handle this scenario. I would suggest to open a TAC case. They will ask for packet capture and might improve content.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Roger that.

Hi Wmumper,

Do you have ssl decryption on the device? If not could you try to enable it for just your source IP, try to access it see if that resolves the issue?

This document describes about ssl decryption :

How to Implement SSL Decryption

Hope this helps. Thank you.

I do not, I will take a look and let you know.

Thanks for the assistance.

L0 Member

Hi Wmumper,

One of my customer was having same issue. When I checked monitor logs, I could able to see that traffic is passing through port 443. So I enabled SSL decryption and it has been blocked.

How to Implement SSL Decryption

Regards,

Sarath

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!