Youtube safe mode

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Youtube safe mode

Not applicable

Hello all,

Yes its youtube again, for a while now youtube has been working fine since we turned on the safety-mode feature and forced students to select safe-mode.

But this week they have been complaining that not all the videos work.

I have looked at the logs and there are some videos that have a url at googlevideos.com and these are using the google-video-base application, this is blocked by default as we cannot determine the nature of the video.

Has anyone else notice this, and can we trust google-video-base to be (U18) safe with youtube-safety-mode switched on.

Thanks for any input.

Ian Meaton

Hereward College

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

Hello Ian,

Currently we have an internal case opened with the engineering team to work on this issue where youtube-base traffic is being identified as google-video-base traffic in content versions 402 and 403.  At this time, the root cause appears to be due to recent changes made by Google, not by Palo Alto Networks.

I would recommend permitting google-video-base temporarily in policies that allow youtube-base until issues are fully resolved.

As long as that youtube-safey mode is on and students are browsing videos through youtube.com, you should be fine.

Thanks and regards,

Kunal Adak

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L5 Sessionator

Hello Ian,

Currently we have an internal case opened with the engineering team to work on this issue where youtube-base traffic is being identified as google-video-base traffic in content versions 402 and 403.  At this time, the root cause appears to be due to recent changes made by Google, not by Palo Alto Networks.

I would recommend permitting google-video-base temporarily in policies that allow youtube-base until issues are fully resolved.

As long as that youtube-safey mode is on and students are browsing videos through youtube.com, you should be fine.

Thanks and regards,

Kunal Adak

Thank you,

I have opened a case and uploaded all the requested logs.

Ian

Edit

The videos are redirected to

video.google.com

when I put in an allow rule for this you can then browse google videos and potentially view whatever they are currently offering.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!