GlobalProtect client doubled in size?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect client doubled in size?

L6 Presenter

Does anyone know why the latest GlobalProtect client distribution package doubled in size?

5.2.12 103MB  -->  5.2.13 232MB

6.0.3 155MB  -->  6.0.5 283MB

6.1.0 124MB  -->  6.1.1 250MB

Was going to upgrade some GP clients, but in some cases remote internet access is limited and having people wait 30min for a VPN client download before logon is a problem...

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Adrian_Jensen,

The agent bundle increased because the size of the Win64 version of GlobalProtect exploded by about 100MBs. In fairness the Linux agent nearly doubled as well, but that isn't included in the agent bundle that you appear to be referencing. 

You can likely explode the MSI with something like Dolphin and see what additional dependencies are being included, but a sudden growth like that seems like it's just additional dependencies being included in the installer. 

L6 Presenter

@BPry 

Oh FFS.... So I tore apart the packages and yes it is the Win64 version that grew 100MB, and it appears that PaloAlto screwed up the packaging big time. I'm not a Windows programmer, but it should not be that large... The Linux and OSX versions also had an increase, though I haven't determined exactly what that came from yet.

I am opening a ticket with PA to see if we can get them to fix there packaging and shrink it back to normal size... the Win64 should have been a few MB larger... not 100MB.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!