Unable to launch global protect on osx 15 (sequoia)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Unable to launch global protect on osx 15 (sequoia)

L0 Member

Hello, I am on Mac OS Sequoia (15.0 (24A5289h)) and when I launch globalprotect, nothing happens. I looked at the console for any log messages, but nothing in their too. My employer's VPN setup page is here:

https://vpn.upenn.edu/global-protect/getsoftwarepage.esp

Can someone confirm if the version of the software they have there work with Sequoia, and if not, how do I get the right version?

Thanks,

Delip

10 REPLIES 10

Community Team Member

Hi @deliprao ,

macOS 15 Sequoia is currently not supported by GlobalProtect. Please check out the techdoc for current support.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Need an ETA. 

The MacOS sequoia was released just two weeks back, so it might take sometime to announce the official support. It takes time because the latest and greatest GP versions (6.0.X , 6.1.X , 6.2. X, 6.3. X) have to be tested on the new OS. 

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

L0 Member

Developer and public betas have been available all summer long.  This could and should have been found earlier and resolved by the final release. 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@AaronRamsumair,

That developer beta changed quite a bit throughout its release, and paired with bugs and Apple not coming out directly and just saying what was modified it doesn't make for a great development platform. One of the large reasons why you're seeing so many companies, including PAN, struggle to get out updates and announce full support.

That being said, GlobalProtect itself fundamentally does work with macOS Sequoia and has since the very first beta release. Due to changes and bugs in Sequoia there's some aspect that don't function properly. The first being that some of your HIP checks will fail and need your need to upgrade your profiles to account for Sequoia reporting the firewall isn't enabled. Second being that having the firewall itself enabled in Sequoia introduces issues with long-running connections like SMB and RDP sessions.

The one thing you could argue PAN should have done is fix the HIP check for having the firewall enabled, but HIP isn't really designed to change via the version of the operating system that you're running. If you perform the Sequoia check on non-Sequoia releases then those will fail, continuing to check how it's implemented currently breaks Sequoia. While saying "just change the check for Sequoia once you know the version" is easily said, it's a fairly massive change to the existing HIP process.

@BPry 

Second being that having the firewall itself enabled in Sequoia introduces issues with long-running connections like SMB and RDP sessions.

Anywhere I can get more info on this?

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Weston,

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255765230?sortBy=rank

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/1fizxc9/ms_rdp_broken_on_macos_sequoia/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/1aq8e6p/sonoma_smb_connectivity_issues_with_firewall/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255766529?sortBy=rank

There's a couple of examples. You can tell from the age of some of these discussions, but this was reported and identified extremely early in the Sequoia beta track. I know I myself reported it many times in feedback and just kind of assumed that it would be something fixed later in the development cycle, as that's typical of Apple betas. You'll identify a ton of things early on and a flurry of major fixes will go out towards the end of the beta cycle or even in the initial release. Unfortunately this appears to be one of those bugs that Apple has left even after general release.

L1 Bithead

Hi, 

Has there been any fixes for the HIP-Checks yet? 
Is it all HIP-Checks that fail or is it just Firewall?

We are having these problems where we do HIP-Checks for both Firewall and Anti-Malware.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@JohnHogman,

Firewall would be expected if you are checking if it's enabled, as that is still currently not able to be validated. How is your check for anti-malware configured? That should be showing current via Xprotect and real-time-protection should be showing as yes for both Xprotect and Gatekeeper.

Hi,

There seemed to be multiple configuration errors on the Palo in this case, bypassing the Firewall check in HIP solved this issue.

There seems to be a fix in GP 6.2.5? Is this a valid and stable version for MacOS 15?

JohnHogman_0-1728991540179.png

• 10 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!