Unable to use the internet when connected to Google Pixel 7 phone hotspot with GP VPN

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Unable to use the internet when connected to Google Pixel 7 phone hotspot with GP VPN

L1 Bithead

When using my Google Pixel 7 Phone's hotspot with my laptop, the internet works fine, except when connected to Global Protect VPN. As soon as I connect the VPN (and it does connect), the internet connection is blocked.  Websites do not come up in the browser.  

Details:

Phone Pixel 7 Pro

Android 13

Network - T-mobile

I have tried creating a new APN with the similar settings as the default APN - except the APN protocol is IPv4.  This did not help.

The same issue happens with my phone (not using hotspot).  Details:

1- On the phone access the internet - no problem.

2- Turn on the Global Protect APP on the phone - connects fine.

3- No internet access on the phone.

4- Turn off the VPN - internet is fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Can Paloalto networks work with Google on this issue?  Thanks!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L1 Bithead

I finally found a solution that worked for me.   It was in a T-mobile forum.  Here's a link to the article:

https://community.t-mobile.com/troubleshooting-38/globalprotect-vpn-not-working-with-t-mobile-35992

In case the article is archived, here are the instructions:

Also confirmed reducing MTU value in netsh configuration resolved GlobalProtect VPN issue for Windows 10.

NOTE: You need root/admin access to be able to change it through command line.

1. While connected to VPN, open a Command Prompt CMD (Right Click CMD -> Run Ad Administrator)

2. To verify your Virtual Ethernet Adapter Interface, Type the following:

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces
Change Windows MTU Size

3. As mentioned on the above replies. credit Rich T, Type the following:

netsh int ipv4 set subinterface “Ethernet 2” mtu=1300 store=persistent

Replace “Ethernet 2” (keep the quotes) with whatever name your computer uses for the globalprotect virtual interface in ipconfig.

4. Test your sites

Browse some Corp and Internet sites while connected to the VPN.

Note: You may have to restart your VPN connection by disconnecting and reconnecting.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L1 Bithead

Here's an update.  I updated my phone's Global Protect App by downloading the latest version from the Google Play Store.  I was able to launch the app on my phone and the internet still worked OK.  That's great, however, that doesn't help me as far as using my laptop with the phone's hotspot.   The version of Global Protect that my company supports is 5.2.12.  I have asked them if they can make a newer version available.  I'm awaiting a response.

L0 Member

I had the same issue and IT found a solution by creating a new APN on my phone by copying the existing cell network settings.
I went to the Access Point Names made screen shots of the current APN and then created a new APN with the same values BUT changed APN protocol to IPv4 instead of IPv6.

Thanks for you suggestion.  I'm pretty sure I tried this and it didn't help.  I will give it a try again though as some time has passed and maybe the software (VPN / or the phone) has been improved.

L1 Bithead

I finally found a solution that worked for me.   It was in a T-mobile forum.  Here's a link to the article:

https://community.t-mobile.com/troubleshooting-38/globalprotect-vpn-not-working-with-t-mobile-35992

In case the article is archived, here are the instructions:

Also confirmed reducing MTU value in netsh configuration resolved GlobalProtect VPN issue for Windows 10.

NOTE: You need root/admin access to be able to change it through command line.

1. While connected to VPN, open a Command Prompt CMD (Right Click CMD -> Run Ad Administrator)

2. To verify your Virtual Ethernet Adapter Interface, Type the following:

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces
Change Windows MTU Size

3. As mentioned on the above replies. credit Rich T, Type the following:

netsh int ipv4 set subinterface “Ethernet 2” mtu=1300 store=persistent

Replace “Ethernet 2” (keep the quotes) with whatever name your computer uses for the globalprotect virtual interface in ipconfig.

4. Test your sites

Browse some Corp and Internet sites while connected to the VPN.

Note: You may have to restart your VPN connection by disconnecting and reconnecting.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!