Viewing Connected Users in Captive Portal using GUI

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Viewing Connected Users in Captive Portal using GUI

L1 Bithead

Hello,

Is it possible to view the number of users connected simultaneously to the Palo Alto captive portal using the GUI interface? If so, how can I do this?

Thank you

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @PA_compte ,

I cannot think of any way to see such information. And if I think about it I don't believe such information is actually available...

First lets clarify that when we talk about Captive Portal, there is no such think as "connected simultaneously users".

Captive portal will authenticate users and create ip-to-user mapping. But because there no way for the firewall to know when logout, or disconnect or change IPs, the create ip-to-user mapping have expiration timer. Once the timer expires mapping is removed and the source IP is no longer associated with any user. This will trigger new user authentication (redirection to captive portal).

When user is connect to GlobalProtect in contrast, firewall is capable to monitor when connection from GP is established and when it is disconnected, using this information FW can report with confidence which are currently connected users.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @PA_compte ,

I cannot think of any way to see such information. And if I think about it I don't believe such information is actually available...

First lets clarify that when we talk about Captive Portal, there is no such think as "connected simultaneously users".

Captive portal will authenticate users and create ip-to-user mapping. But because there no way for the firewall to know when logout, or disconnect or change IPs, the create ip-to-user mapping have expiration timer. Once the timer expires mapping is removed and the source IP is no longer associated with any user. This will trigger new user authentication (redirection to captive portal).

When user is connect to GlobalProtect in contrast, firewall is capable to monitor when connection from GP is established and when it is disconnected, using this information FW can report with confidence which are currently connected users.

Thank you for your reply!

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!