Changing hostnames on devices connected to Panorama

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Changing hostnames on devices connected to Panorama

L1 Bithead

Hi all,

basically same question as subject.

I'd like to change all my +20 palo alto firewalls hostname and don't get if possible from Panorama or not.

When i go to Panorama-device-my device there is no Hostname and no domain,but they are present on firewall GUI,so not clear for me if changes need to be performed on FW and pushed to Panorama or viceversa.

And,in any case,is there some issue i have to consider before performing the change a part of connecting to firewall trough the hostname?(e.g.IPSec gws,tunnels,etc...)

Thanks in advance,

MG

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for reply @MGMGMG

in this case you can change it locally directly on Firewall. No need to use Template for this.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello @MGMGMG

thanks for the post in LIVEcommunity!

To change hostname and domain name of Panorama managed Firewall, you will have to do it through Template. Navigate to Templates > Device > [Select Template] > Setup > Management > General Settings > [Click on "Gear Icon"]. After you make a change, commit it and push it to managed Firewall.

If the values of Hostname and Domain are already configured locally on the Firewall, by pushing these configurations via Template will result local configuration to take a precedence. You will still have to connect locally and to override Template values.

Regarding your second question, there is no risk with changing hostname of the Firewall. I would only recommend changing DNS record mapped to management interface of the Firewall to correspond with name of the Firewall. Changing of DNS name will also break SAN name in the certificate used for management interface if you are using your own certificate.

The IPSec you mentioned is not affected by this. IPsec is built over data plane interface IP address.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Hi Pavel, thanks for your reply.

Firewalls hostnames I need to change are already configured locally, if I get it correctly, can the hostname change be performed directly locally on device? Or do I need to follow mandatory the process you explained(change on Panorama, pushing via template, override locally)?

Thanks in advance,

MG

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for reply @MGMGMG

in this case you can change it locally directly on Firewall. No need to use Template for this.

Kind Regards

Pavel

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!