Panorama and Firewall in Different Timezones

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Panorama and Firewall in Different Timezones

L1 Bithead

Hi Guys,

This seems to be a weird question but I am thinking about it for a while.

Let us say the Panorama is in US with US time zone configured and the firewall is in UK with UK time zone. My question is what will be the timing shown in the logs in Panorama when the firewall sends the logs to Panorama? Will it be US or UK timing?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for posting question @Nikko 

In order for Panorama to display logs, the Panorama and Firewall sending log must have the same time. This means also the same time zone. Here is corresponding KB: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClXACA0

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Hi @PavelK ,

The article that you posted seems to be strange, mine is working fine. In my setup, I can see logs from the firewall (overseas) to Panorama (local) but the thing is it has different timings that is why I asked in this thread what time zone does Panorama follows, is it the firewall's local time zone or the Panorama's local time zone.

It's a bit strange.

Thanks.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for quick reply @Nikko 

In the past time, I had one time experience that Time Zone mismatch was a root cause for not seeing logs on Panorama. This is reason why I sent you that link, however after you confirmed that it actually works in your deployment, I tried to reproduce it by changing Time Zone on one of my Firewall. The result is: logs are still being displayed in Panorama.

To answer your question, I believe that log time stamp on Panorama side will be from Panorama's time. This is what I see in my case after I have configured different Time Zone on Firewall side.

You can verify it from CLI. The below commands will show time of the logs when it is being sent to Panorama and received by Panorama.

Firewall: show logging-status

Panorama: show logging-status device <Firewall Serial Number>

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L2 Linker

My assumption is that if you view the logs in Panorama is would show Panroamas times for logs but I'm not certain on this. In our environment everything is set to the same timezone of Panorama, regardless of what timezone they are in.

Network Administrator

L4 Transporter

Hello,

I think it should show you the logs for the time zone you have the panorama, but this is my assumption because in our environment we have everything in the same time zone as well, if you find out please share it here.

Thanks

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!