Panorama (eth1/1) to firewall (Loop0 or vlan interface) configuration push

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

L0 Member

Hey guys

Not sure if it's a valid solution but I need your advise.

Panorama - M500

FW - PA3220

Scenario 1: Panorama (MGT Interface)  <---------- (MGT Subnet) ----------> (MGT Interface) Firewall 

•        can push the config from Panorama to FW
  •        everything works, no issues.

Scenario 2: Panorama (Eth1/1 )  <---------- (Routed network) ----------> (Loop0) Firewall 

•       cannot push the config from Panorama to FW,
  •       even though they can ping to each other.
  •       can't see the firewall in Managed Device either.

Panorama eth 1/1 -settings

• Ping,
  • SSH,
  • Device Deployment,
  • Device Management and Device Log Collection,
  • Device Deployment

Could someone advise what's missing in my config or this is not possible?

Followed this post, looks like similar config worked for someone but not sure whether MGT interface was used or something else.

Solved: LIVEcommunity - Re: Panorama device management via loopback - LIVEcommunity - 341279

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for posting question @sanjaypatel08

I have a few Firewalls that are managed by Panorama and not using management interface. This scenario is possible, you will only have to adjust Service Route Configuration to use Loopback interface instead of management interface. I can confirm that in Panorama the Firewall's IP address will be still displayed with management interface IP address even though it is not connected at all.

On Panorama side, I do not think you can completely eliminate Management interface. Based on documentation it states that: "When assigning Panorama services to various interfaces, keep in mind that only the MGT interface allows administrative access to Panorama for configuration and monitoring tasks."

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/panorama/10-1/panorama-admin/set-up-panorama/set-up-the-m-series-a...

For all other functions such as:

Device Management and Device Log Collection
Collector Group Communication
Device Deployment

You can use different interface than management. This should be functional in your case with Eth 1/1.

Could you make sure that you completed this step: Changes made to interfaces other than management (MGT) require a Collector Group commit to be effective. Below is a sample:

PavelK_0-1632866582077.png

Since you mentioned that you can't see Firewall in Panorama under Device Management, this is fundamental issue and without seeing Firewall connected in Device Management, you will not be able to perform further tasks with pushing of configuration. Could you verify that on Firewall side you are pointing to the correct Panorama's IP address, Service Routes are in place and S/N registered in Panorama is corresponding?

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

L0 Member

Thanks @PavelK for your help, I followed the steps and it did work for me.

I had to make two changes:

1. The service route update from firewall

2. After seeing the traffic from firewall to Panorama eth1/1 interface, firewall was dropping it so I had to create another rule allow that flow.

And it worked well, with no issues 🙂

Thank you again!

Sanjay

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for posting question @sanjaypatel08

I have a few Firewalls that are managed by Panorama and not using management interface. This scenario is possible, you will only have to adjust Service Route Configuration to use Loopback interface instead of management interface. I can confirm that in Panorama the Firewall's IP address will be still displayed with management interface IP address even though it is not connected at all.

On Panorama side, I do not think you can completely eliminate Management interface. Based on documentation it states that: "When assigning Panorama services to various interfaces, keep in mind that only the MGT interface allows administrative access to Panorama for configuration and monitoring tasks."

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/panorama/10-1/panorama-admin/set-up-panorama/set-up-the-m-series-a...

For all other functions such as:

Device Management and Device Log Collection
Collector Group Communication
Device Deployment

You can use different interface than management. This should be functional in your case with Eth 1/1.

Could you make sure that you completed this step: Changes made to interfaces other than management (MGT) require a Collector Group commit to be effective. Below is a sample:

PavelK_0-1632866582077.png

Since you mentioned that you can't see Firewall in Panorama under Device Management, this is fundamental issue and without seeing Firewall connected in Device Management, you will not be able to perform further tasks with pushing of configuration. Could you verify that on Firewall side you are pointing to the correct Panorama's IP address, Service Routes are in place and S/N registered in Panorama is corresponding?

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L0 Member

Thanks @PavelK for your help, I followed the steps and it did work for me.

I had to make two changes:

1. The service route update from firewall

2. After seeing the traffic from firewall to Panorama eth1/1 interface, firewall was dropping it so I had to create another rule allow that flow.

And it worked well, with no issues 🙂

Thank you again!

Sanjay

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!