Referencing items in a template that are defined in another template.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Referencing items in a template that are defined in another template.

L1 Bithead

I have one template that had most of my default settings that get pushed to all my firewalls.

In this template,  I have defined authentication profiles.

I have another template that I am using to push Global Protect Portal/gateway settings to a firewall.    Both of these templates are in the same template stack.   The problem I am having is that the global Protect settings in the GP template can not reference the Authentication profile settings in the default template.

I really don't want to duplicate the authentication profile settings also in the GP template.    What am I doing wrong ?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for the post @RHuss1

this behavior is expected. I tried to reproduce what you reported and I have seen the same issue. The only way to overcome it was to make change in Template Stack.

The official answer is in documentation: https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/panorama/10-1/panorama-admin/manage-firewalls/manage-templates-and... Please refer to Step No.1: "Also note that a template configuration can’t reference a configuration in another template even if both templates are in the same stack. For example, a zone configuration in Template_A can’t reference a zone protection profile in Template_B."

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L1 Bithead

I should also add,  that I have dicovered that if I define the Global Protect Portal/gateway in the actual Stack,  then it can use the Authentication profiles that are defined in my default template.    

This kind of makes sense to me,  but it is confusing to have some of my items defined in templates,  and some things in Stacks.   I always thought a stack should just be a collection of templates and that all objects should be defined in the templates.   Am I misunderstanding this ?

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Thank you for the post @RHuss1

this behavior is expected. I tried to reproduce what you reported and I have seen the same issue. The only way to overcome it was to make change in Template Stack.

The official answer is in documentation: https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/panorama/10-1/panorama-admin/manage-firewalls/manage-templates-and... Please refer to Step No.1: "Also note that a template configuration can’t reference a configuration in another template even if both templates are in the same stack. For example, a zone configuration in Template_A can’t reference a zone protection profile in Template_B."

Kind Regards

Pavel

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!