Template Variables for Global Protect

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Template Variables for Global Protect

L0 Member

Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to set a template variable for for a GlobalProtect tunnel interface? I am trying to configure 2 Gateways and 1 portal for the template. I have reference the Multiple Gateway document. (https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/globalprotect/10-0/globalprotect-admin/globalprotect-quick-configs... ) I was just curious if this is possible, or does this need to be configured on each firewall hosting a Gateway. Thank you for any guidance.

11 REPLIES 11

L1 Bithead

Hi, Not sure I understand your usage case, but I'm using IP variable  with GP tunnel interface in panorama template and there no issues with this.

DDmchk_0-1636491175606.png

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @ian.whittington and @DDmchk ,

Here is my use case.  I use a "global" template to push my GP config out to all NGFWs.  There are 7 items that are unique to each NGFW:

1. Portal interface
  2. Portal IP address*
  3. Portal external GW FQDN*
  4. Gateway interface
  5. Gateway IP address*
  6. Gateway tunnel interface
  7. Gateway IP pool*

It works great.  I could use a variable for every item marked with an *.  I cannot for the interfaces.  Because I cannot use variable, I have to override the template stack configuration for every NGFW (or HA pair).  Once overridden, some new configurations have to be added to each template stack configuration many times as opposed to the global configuration once.  If I could use variables for the interfaces, I can go back to the configure-once, push-to-all design.

UPDATE:  I used variables for the portal agent external gateway configuration, and then I reverted the agent section only in the template stack.  Now any agent changes are pushed to all.

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

@TomYoung can you clarify how you did this?  We have 8 firewalls that I would like to push a single template to for GlobalProtect gateways, but even after adding the interface variable to the template as well as the template-stack, I still cannot use them in the interface selections.  Thanks in advance.

Community Team Member

Hi @NPaystrup ,

Here are couple docs from the Admin Guide that I hope can be helpful. 

Configure template or template stack variable

Import and Override existing template value

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @JayGolf ,

Thanks for replying!  Shortly after @NPaystrup 's post, I sent him/her a PM offering a Zoom.  I thought that was a better way to demonstrate it.

Thanks,

Tom

Community Team Member

Thank you @TomYoung !

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Sorry!

I forgot to mention that he/she never responded.  Maybe not familiar with personal mail in the community.

L0 Member

@TomYoung were you able to figure out how to use variables for the interface selection? Running into the same issue. I could use a default loopback on a higher number, but not all sites have multiple external IPs to create loopbacks.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @YannickMaes ,

I configured a bogus interface in the Global template.  I then overrode that interface in the template stacks with the correct interface.  Trying to use the same interface in the Global template led to problems as it interfered with the templates.  You can send me a PM if you want to see the config.

Thanks,

Tom

L0 Member

That's what we now already do. I was curious if you figured out how to configure the interface using variables. Thanks for the prompt reply though 🙂

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Correct.  Last time I checked, I could not use variables for items 1, 4, and 6 listed above.  Those do not have an asterisk.

• 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!