Palo Alto Networks generic.ml: JRS_SLE.EXE

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Palo Alto Networks generic.ml: JRS_SLE.EXE

L1 Bithead

I'm reporting a false positive for the file: JRS_SLE.EXE. On Virustotal.com Palo Alto Networks flags the file as "generic:ml" when, in fact, the program is harmless. It's actually part of our anti-piracy protection. I wrote and compiled the program. Furthermore, the file is signed by Jurik Research Software, Inc. with a digital certificate. If Palo Alto Networks need a copy of the file or further information, let me know.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

The hash is correct, but some explanation is in order. Yesterday, I noticed that the file listed on VirusTotal was a little out of date, so I uploaded the current version (which will soon be updated again) and the detection results changed. Now, 6 out of 64 engines detect it as malware, and Palo Alto Networks is not listed as detecting it or showing it as clean.

Perhaps you have some idea why it's not appearing in either group now.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L3 Networker

Hello, 

Please provide the following information so that we may assist you further:

File Hash: <hash>

Link to Virustotal report for the file: <link>

Current VirustTotal Verdict: <verdict>

Thanks for the repy.

SHA-256 19d4d041a07c50fdf3a828f2676869d99ac14fb13f43ca8d3c66fc9a6daabe91

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/19d4d041a07c50fdf3a828f2676869d99ac14fb13f43ca8d3c66fc9a6daabe91/d...

I'm not sure what you mean by verdict, but 8 of 69 malware engines falsely detect the file as being malware.

I don't see any generic:ml for that sample for Palo Alto Networks. We have made no changes.

Do you have the right sha256?

The hash is correct, but some explanation is in order. Yesterday, I noticed that the file listed on VirusTotal was a little out of date, so I uploaded the current version (which will soon be updated again) and the detection results changed. Now, 6 out of 64 engines detect it as malware, and Palo Alto Networks is not listed as detecting it or showing it as clean.

Perhaps you have some idea why it's not appearing in either group now.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!