Custom PAN-OS Metrics Published for Monitoring

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Custom PAN-OS Metrics Published for Monitoring

L0 Member

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to setup some alerts in Azure based of the PAN-OS custom metrics which are published to Application Insights.

First - Does anyone know if the values published represent a point in time when the metrics are posted or an average since the last post?

Second - It looks to me like the only identifier for the firewall that generated the log entry is customDimensions.InstanceId. This instance Id seems to be a unique ID set in deep in the VMs BIOS, does anybody know how to tie that back to a specific VMid or Name?

Cheers

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L0 Member

If this helps anyone else:

Does anyone know if the values published represent a point in time when the metrics are posted or an average since the last post?

TAC have confirmed its a point in time measurement when the metrics are posted to app insight.

It looks to me like the only identifier for the firewall that generated the log entry is customDimensions.InstanceId. This instance Id seems to be a unique ID set in deep in the VMs BIOS, does anybody know how to tie that back to a specific VMid or Name?

TAC were pretty useless in answering this...Their SME said to contact Azure for an answer and that it was not a value populated by the plugin. - which is just not true.

From what I can tell the value comes from 

show system state | match cfg.platform.instance-id

and would appear to represent (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/accessing-and-using-azure-vm-unique-id/) - but that is just a guess as I can't interrogate the BIOS to confirm.

So it's a pretty poor identifier to include in the metrics. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

L0 Member

If this helps anyone else:

Does anyone know if the values published represent a point in time when the metrics are posted or an average since the last post?

TAC have confirmed its a point in time measurement when the metrics are posted to app insight.

It looks to me like the only identifier for the firewall that generated the log entry is customDimensions.InstanceId. This instance Id seems to be a unique ID set in deep in the VMs BIOS, does anybody know how to tie that back to a specific VMid or Name?

TAC were pretty useless in answering this...Their SME said to contact Azure for an answer and that it was not a value populated by the plugin. - which is just not true.

From what I can tell the value comes from 

show system state | match cfg.platform.instance-id

and would appear to represent (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/accessing-and-using-azure-vm-unique-id/) - but that is just a guess as I can't interrogate the BIOS to confirm.

So it's a pretty poor identifier to include in the metrics. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!