Chromebook and GlobalProtect VPN

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Chromebook and GlobalProtect VPN

Not applicable

Does anyone know if the Chrome book supports the GlobalProtect VPN client? I have some staff interested in purchasing them but VPN access will be required and I have no way to test it.

Thank you,

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

The magic Google phrase to search for would be "Chromebook vpnc" - 'vpnc' is a Cisco VPN client that also happens to work with GlobalProtect gateways (you have to turn XAUTH on in the Gateway as well... there's another forum thread on here that goes over it, search for 'vpnc')

Unfortunately the results I'm finding for official support for IPSec from Google don't look promising:

Google Groups

"Implementation of OpenVPN support is already in progress. vpnc, if I had to guess, is not likely to be implemented (because more advanced encryption options on Cisco VPNs causes vpnc not to be redistributable as a binary, for obscure legal reasons)."

But if you're OK with doing it yourself, another blog post DOES look very promising:

http://blog.martinh.net/2013/02/hacking-chromebook-for-fun-and-profit.html

The "right way" to do this would be with a GUI, with NetworkManager or some such frontend. I'm not sure that a GUI VPN client of that nature is available for the Chromebook platform unfortunately

L3 Networker
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!