APPID signature for Zebra Printers showing unknown-tcp or insufficient data

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

APPID signature for Zebra Printers showing unknown-tcp or insufficient data

L0 Member

I am seeing that traffic that goes to an specific vendor/model (Zebra LP 2844-z) of labeling printers is being categorized as APPid unknown-tcp or insufficient data on port 2001 TCP. I would like to know if there is a way to get this added to your APPID database so when traffic matching this signature is automatically tagged.

Regards,

M

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

Mario,

Please read the documented process for new App-ID coverage here:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/How-to-Request-a-new-App-ID/ta-p/60834

But before you go....

It sounds like most of the Zebra printer traffic is being recognized as a known App-ID. Is that true? If so are you expecting that this one printer model should also show up as the same App-ID? If so a Support Case might be appropriate to fix the existing App-ID.

If you're interested in creating a custom signature for this traffic then please share some pcaps and other helpful contextual information that we might use to guide your efforts.

All the best,

Benjamin

I did submit a request previously. I didn't get any reply so far on my inbox.

Not sure, but the traffic for this specific model is recognized as UNknown-tcp or insufficient data. At the moment we are allowing traffic for the service port 2001 TCP instead with ANY APPID. I am not sure for other Zebra printers. Do you mean appid ZPL? 

I have also just opened a support case to work on this already for further inverstigation. PCAPS, traffic logs, putty session logs and tech support file was submited. 

As per customer needs, no custom AppIDs are added to fix these kind of  issues. They state that the same printer model and various of the same vendor's traffic has no APPID assigned to them.

Regards,

Mario

Mario,

ZPL is the App-ID for Zebra. 

I've talked to the case owner and he will request some packet captures of the mis-identified traffic and then it should be possible to update the ZPL App-ID.

-Benjamin

• 3 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!