Expeditions stopped accepting Syslog

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Expeditions stopped accepting Syslog

L2 Linker

I had this all setup and working, following the "Log Analysis Features of Expedition" tutorial.  The setup is, all FWs managed by single Panorama, logs forward from FWs to panorama.  I have setup panorama collector to forward the firewall logs to Expedition via syslog TCP.

This all worked fine for a few days then when I tried to login a realised the logs had used up all the disk space.  I had to delete some logs to make enough space and then reboot expedition, when I logged into the gui after the reboot I noticed the PanOrders agent had stopped.  I followed some instructions on the forum about reinstalling rabbitmq or something. 

sudo apt-get remove rabbitmq-server && apt-get purge rabbitmq-server
sudo apt-get install rabbitmq-server

This resolved the PanOrders issue but the rsyslog service would not restart, the rsyslog log said something about no socket available (or something like that) I think google suggested to run the command "systemctl enable rsyslog.service" which resolved the error and the rsyslog service is now running but I am still getting syslog dropped according to panorama.  I can see the sylsog hitting the expedition server using tcpdump but the files are not showing in the PALogs folder.

The only other change I have made since it worked was move the /PALogs folder to /data/PALogs, I have checked the permissions and updated both the rsyslog.conf and the expedition config regarding this change but I assume none of this would effect why the server is now dropping the syslog traffic?  I have restarted the rsyslog service multiple times and rebooted expedition.

Any help?  I am sure this is related to the hard disk filling up.

2 REPLIES 2

L1 Bithead

Hi,

Have you looked into the /etc/rsyslog.conf file to verify the config?

Turns out the issue was changing /PALogs folder to /data/PALogs.  Although this was done correctly in the /etc/rsyslog.conf and the permissions of the new folder was correct (and I rebooted to ensure any services were restarted) it was suggested there was some sort of bug with changing the directory.  I ended up creating a symlink and changing the directory back in /etc/rsyslog.conf so the syslog files are stored in /data/PALogs but the etc/rsyslog.conf still points to /PALogs.

thanks for the reply

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!