About server virtualization (vmware esx) question.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

About server virtualization (vmware esx) question.

L3 Networker

Hello.

When using server vitualization environment (vmware esx) can PA inspection traffic as a vm instance from internal vm servers?

I checked application named vmware at PA device but guess it is only related vmware traffic for management. right?

Please checke above question for me Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Regards.

Roh

1 REPLY 1

L4 Transporter

I think you're asking what the vmware appID is.  Is that correct?  If so, yes you are correct, the vmware appID is for VMWare management traffic.  If you look at the appID description, you'll see from the characteristics that this application uses a standard port, tcp/902, which is used by the VMWare Server Console daemon to connect to it's client machines.  So if you see the vmware appID in your logs and ACC, this is what it's for.

Your virtual machines may, of course, be doing different things, with different traffic triggering different appID's.  For example, a VM running a web server might trigger an appID for "web-browsing" as traffic comes in and out of that virtual machine.

Hope that makes sense!

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!