Add Multiple DNS Suffixes

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Add Multiple DNS Suffixes

L4 Transporter

Is there a way to add more than one DNS suffix to DHCP?

I know in Mac OS X I can add multiple search domains, but I don't want each user to have to do this, nor type in our long domain names each time either.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

L7 Applicator

I tested this, and yes, you can add more than one.

It will not work if you use commas as delimiters, you need to separate the entered suffixes with spaces.

Mariano Ivaldi

Hi Mariano,

I didnt get the question and answer both, can you tell me where are DHCP settings configured.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Sure thing. This is under Network > DHCP > DHCP Server. Here's a screenshot where I have adomain.local, and additionally otherdomain.local in the DNS Suffix list. Using a space will create multiple Search Domains on the computers.

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 11.09.16 AM.png

Example. If I tried to resolve with nslookup (or anything else that needs to resolve the name) like:

nslookup hello

My computer will ask my DNS server for:

hello.adomain.local

hello.otherdomain.local

If instead of using a space in between adomain.local and otherdomain.local, you used a comma, it will be asking for:

hello.adomain.local,otherdomain.local

... so it gets confused with commas and concatenates the suffixes. It works fine if you separate them with a space.

I'll write a KB with further details and publish it on live...

Best,
Mariano Ivaldi

This solution was superseded by the ability to set DHCP Options. See article: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA14u000000saawCAA

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!