Advanced URL Filtering

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Advanced URL Filtering

L5 Sessionator

Hi Anyone,

Even I read these docs as below, I could not understand well.

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/10-1/pan-os-new-features/url-filtering-features/advanced-ur...

Do I still need existing PAN-DB subscription, and Adv. is add-on for it?
or
Can I completely replace PAN-DB subscription with Adv. (no more purchase of existing PAN-DB, and only purchase Adv. one)

It sounds me Adv. URL Filtering position is more like WildFire and people generally purchase Threat Prevention together.
(It means WildFire is add-on for Threat Prevention in my opinion)
2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@emr_1,

Reading this:

The Advanced URL Filtering license includes access to PAN-DB; f the license expires, the firewall ceases to perform all URL filtering functions, URL category enforcement, and URL cloud lookups. Additionally, all other cloud based updates will not function until you install a valid license.

It would read to me that you either purchase a URL-Filtering subscription or an advanced URL-Filtering subscription, but you wouldn't need to have both. I would reach out to your account team to get an official answer, but it seems like you simply purchase one or the other. 

View solution in original post

L5 Sessionator

Adv. URL Filtering will replace traditional URL Filtering. It's the natural evolution of the product (much like the addition of ML in PANOS 10 from 9). The Adv. sub will contain all the same functionality of traditional, with the ML enhancement. 

So at your next renewal, you can opt for adv. url to replace your current sub. 

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@emr_1,

Reading this:

The Advanced URL Filtering license includes access to PAN-DB; f the license expires, the firewall ceases to perform all URL filtering functions, URL category enforcement, and URL cloud lookups. Additionally, all other cloud based updates will not function until you install a valid license.

It would read to me that you either purchase a URL-Filtering subscription or an advanced URL-Filtering subscription, but you wouldn't need to have both. I would reach out to your account team to get an official answer, but it seems like you simply purchase one or the other. 

L5 Sessionator

Adv. URL Filtering will replace traditional URL Filtering. It's the natural evolution of the product (much like the addition of ML in PANOS 10 from 9). The Adv. sub will contain all the same functionality of traditional, with the ML enhancement. 

So at your next renewal, you can opt for adv. url to replace your current sub. 

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.

L3 Networker

@LAYER_8 

Question, If put ONLY Advanced Threat on a Palo running 10.1 will I still have any Threat Prevention/IPS?

Since ATP seems not to be supported on 10.1 will I lose my IPS/Threat if I only put ATP on a PA running 10.1?

@Schneur_Feldman  Yes you will have all the IPS and Threat prevention.

Regards

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 2 accepted solutions
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!