Application incomplete

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Application incomplete

L4 Transporter

Hi,

Why Palo Alto is detecting sometimes the application like SSL and sometimes like incomplete??????

if the connection has 134bytes is not detected, but with more than 134b is detected..........

incomplete.jpg

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Cos,

That can be answered through packet capture or enlarged version of log.

Please provide me, it will help me with the analysis.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

L6 Presenter

Hi COS,

application "incomplete" means un-complete three way handshake.

Application "ssl" means firewall has seen complete three way handshake and couple of packets after that.

Now in logs you can also see "how many packets are sent and receive".

for incomplete application you will see that not more than 3 packets were exchange in two direction.

To verify it enlarge every log.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

L6 Presenter

Hi COS,

You can also refer bellow document.

Incomplete, Insufficient data and Not-applicable in the application field

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Yes i know but why the system App would start connections with less of 3 packets, thats not make sense right?

Hi Cos,

That can be answered through packet capture or enlarged version of log.

Please provide me, it will help me with the analysis.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Ok ill do a packet capture and ill let u know....thanks

Thanks COS ...

i see incomplete application with  more than 3 packtes in either direction

Capture2.PNG

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

@MP18 Application incomplete can also mean that the three-way-handshake completed but there wasn't enough data afterwards to be classified into an App-ID, hence incomplete.

Just in example, the tcp three-way-handshake could complete but then all the following packets are just TCP keepalives or something.

Packet captures will provide the answers you seek 🙂

I'm having this same issue with telnet on port 8080. From one server to the other it will connect for a second and then say the remote host closed the connection. 

Any ideas?

Rule 

image.png

Packet Capture

image.png WireSharkimage.png

• 1 accepted solution
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!