Blocking ChatGTP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Blocking ChatGTP

L4 Transporter

Hi Guys,

@BPry 

@kiwi 

How do you go an blocking ChatGTP ? Seems like has not been defined in the list of apps yet (applipedia)

Thanks,

Pkarki

PrasKtmBoy
5 REPLIES 5

Community Team Member

Hi @Pras ,

I haven't really played around with this but for starters I'd go with creating a custom URL category with below urls and block it:

openai.com

*.openai.com

openai.pro

*.openai.pro

If this doesn't do the trick I'd look into creating a custom app to block it further:

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/11-0/pan-os-admin/app-id/use-application-objects-in-policy/...

I would be surprised if it isn't already being worked on by the devteam but don't forget to submit a request for a new App-ID here: http://researchcenter.paloaltonetworks.com/submit-an-application/.

Kind regards,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

L0 Member

Looking into Panorama I now see that openai-base, openai-chatgpt and openai-api are all listed in the applications.  One could block those applications and likely block users from getting to ChatGPT.  As for Google-Bard, I don't see any application listed.  But, I thought I'd try something.  I went to Google Bard and asked it how I could block it using a Palo Alto Firewall.  It replied that I could block it's IP address of 35.191.100.110.  Kinda funning using AI to tell me how to block it....

I will likely try both in a test...

good luck!

Hello,

I think a possible issue we have is that there are more and more AI chatbots coming on the market and, if your company wants to block them, it will become hard to achieve this with manual means. Does anyone know if there is any word on them getting their own category, either URL, APP or both.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@MichaelWrigh,

So if you look at the openapi-chatgpt application as it is presently, there's actually already an 'artificial-intelligence' subcategory. Currently openai is the only application in this subcategory, however I'd expect that as App-IDs get added for Bard and other solutions they would be included within this subcategory if you wanted to create an application filter to block the traffic.

I think the effort overall to block all AI options available to a user is a futile effort however unless you switch to selectively allowing all external traffic. There's way too many sites that use ChatGPT's API in the background that gives users access to the same exact resource. Kind of feel like it's similar to adult content, you can chase blocking it as much as you want, but someone who want it will get around any block you can create unless you heavily restrict where users can go. 

L0 Member

I see that Palo Alo has updated "bing-ai", "google-bard", and "openai (openai-chatgpt), openai-base, openai-api" under its Application category (https://applipedia.paloaltonetworks.com/😞

sanbakhin06c_0-1686639374506.png

• 5 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!