bypassed PAN box using free proxies

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

bypassed PAN box using free proxies

L3 Networker

We are tested PAN 500 NFR in our lab . Did a search for youtube proxy on google and picked the first listed . Used them and bypassed the PAN box and was able to get to facebook and yahoo mail . I couldn't get to these sites through my browser directly . I am sure there are others,  people can also use  . I thought PAN prevented such circumvention of policies . Guess , I am wrong .

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

Hi there,

How is the application being identified in the logs?  If it is an application that is already in the App-ID database and it is not being identified correctly, then a support case should be opened.  If the app is not yet covered you can submit the app to the Application and Threat Research Center:

http://www.paloaltonetworks.com/researchcenter/submit-an-application/

Cheers,

Kelly

Hello,

It is not being reported as an app rather web browsing . Big let down . This is one of the marketing put in front of partners by PAN . Thank God , we tested this inhouse rather than infornt of a prospect .

There are new proxy apps coming out all the time.  Please submit the application via the site so we can write a signature.  App-ID allows a single signature to cover 'families' of proxy avoidance applications. (i.e. php-proxy)  This is much more effective than URL filtering, but it can also be a cat and mouse game as new proxy apps come out.

Cheers,

Kelly

Hi Roland,

I have tried it and actually that is a proxy runing in https and is just simply a web traffic helping you to proxy traffic. If you also have our URL filtering solution, you can see that actually it is in proxy-avoidance-and-anonymizers category for a while already.

In App-ID, we have some common client-server proxy app, but for browser based proxy, it is better to use URL filtering solution- as there is more than thousands of proxy bypass website in the world.

Controlling and enabling user internet access is becoming more challenging nowadays, and usually needs to leverage several areas of technologies to achieve it.

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!