Can I use PAN-OS 8.0.0 to Study for the PCNSE 7 exam?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can I use PAN-OS 8.0.0 to Study for the PCNSE 7 exam?

L1 Bithead

Hi guys,

I've been looking at getting a PA VM-50 for training puposes but I have been told that the both VM-50 and PA220 ship with PAN-OS 8 and is not backward compatible with earlier versions of code is this true?

Is there any reason I couldn't use PAN-OS 8.0.0 to study for the PCNSE7?

Thanks 

Matt

8 REPLIES 8

L6 Presenter

Hi Matt,

You can use PAN-OS 8.0 for your PCNSE7 (this is what l am currently doing :0). Some additional features are introduced in the new code but basic still the same. If you are getting VM purely for training why not just use free OVA file and get a temp licences (asking your SE or local distributor). Usually they are helpful 

Hi TranceforLife,

Yes I've been using  trail licenses on and off now but just get tired off having to rebuilding the VM/Firewall after 30 days I just wanted something more permanent. The VM-50 is really afforadble but I was put off with one of the reseller techies saying that version PAN-OS 8.0 wouldn't be very good to use whislt studying for the PCNSE7.

So you haven't come across and issues yet, how far into your studies are you?

Thanks

Matt

No, not really. This even better as you preparing yourself for the test same time learning new PAN-OS release. Good luck with your exam prep

p.s on the middle of the video training series. But you can easy get distracted by doing some sort of verification for another 2-3 hours :0

I've worked with 7.0 daily for well over a year and have recently started with 7.1. I bought a 220 which I partly justified for using to study for the PCNSE. While I'm aware of some of the many enhancements in 8.0, they really haven't surfaced or otherwise made themselves obviously known while working on the 220. In fact, I'm finding the transition from 7.0 to 7.1 to be more of a challenge.

that said, in addition to my experience, I've also been through 201, 205 and 311. I just lack the official Panorama training, which reared its ugly head when I got 2 Panorama-related questions wrong on the offical practice test. Other than that, though, I did pass, so I'm taking that as a sign and plan on going for the PCNSE within the next week, pending completing some other online training I opted for.

but long story short, I concur, I think using 8 would be fine to study for PCNSE7

--
CCNA Security, PCNSE7

Thanks same to you Sir.

Yeah I know that feeling!

Thanks for you insight  bradk14,

You've now  tipped the scales,.....PAN-VM-50 for me then!

Good luck on your studies.

One can study with 8.0 for CNSE 7.1 but not study with 7.1 for ACE 8.0...

8.0 has quite a few things more than 7.1

================================================================
ACE 7.0, 8.0, PCNSE 7

@Matt.Blackwellthank you, you too. I actually decided to take the test this afternoon and surprised myself by passing. It's a wise move to have your own deployment to experiment on. You will basically need to know a bit of everything. It is a very tough, but fair, test.

--
CCNA Security, PCNSE7
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!