Can't upgrade PAN-OS due to software manager

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can't upgrade PAN-OS due to software manager

L3 Networker

Hi All,

i'm trying to upgrade a PA-500 from PAN-OS 5.0.20 to 6.0.0, but after downloading it an error appear, not allowing me to upgrade:

- Image file authentication error

- Failed to load into software manager. Please retry later

- Post processing failed. Please retry.

we tried to reinstall the current version and download the image of PAN-OS 6.0.0 from PA site and upload it to the device, but it didn't resolved anything.

Do you know how to fix it?

Regards,

Daniele

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L3 Networker

Hi All,

yesterday i had the same problem, i used the 'check now' button and it worked, maybe this is the solution, but i have to test it again.

REgards,

Daniele

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

L6 Presenter

Do you have enough disk space:

> show system disk-space

If not delete unwanted saved PAN-OS images from GUI. Next step:

> request system software download version 6.0.0

Check mp logs:

> tail follow yes mp-log ms.log

If no errors download and install any other 6.0.x releases or 6.0.0 (if this is the one you wish to go)

> request system software install version 6.0.0

> show jobs id x - to check the process

Hi,

we have 10 GB of space, i think it is sufficient.

We already tried to do the installation via CLI and is the same using the GUI: it download and it fails the installation.

Regards,

Daniele

Maybe TAC request is your next step, but also you could try to downgrade the device to the let's say 5.0.19 and then try to upgrade again to the 6.0.0.

You may have tried this already but, if not, try clicking the "Check Now" button on the software page and then re-downloading the OS version.

L0 Member

I had a similar issue back in 6.0 days. If I remember correctly, I changed the update url from updates.paloaltonetworks.com to staticupdates.paloaltonetworks.com, made sure dynamic updates were working and installed, and then downloaded and installed the firmware. 

Despite theoretically being able to go to to 6.0.15 without havng to both download and install 6.0.0, I've also seen an issue where that doesn't work. Still have that issue with 7.1 actually. The dead giveway there is that is the 6.0.0 image will diseapear from the firewall once it fails to install 6.0.15. So I'd also go 5.1.19 to 6.0.0 while installing the 6.0.0 version, then after reboot you can download the 6.0.15 version and install it. 

L4 Transporter

Hi,

Just reinstall the current PANOS you have or change the update server to staticupdates.paloaltonetworks.com.

Regards,

Sharief

Regards,
Sharief

this works! Thanks! 

L0 Member

I don't why, but when I change the update server, from updates.paloaltonetworks.com

back to : staticupdates.paloaltonetworks.com

then the download and install will be success.

Guost....

(Version 5.0.x)

L3 Networker

Hi All,

yesterday i had the same problem, i used the 'check now' button and it worked, maybe this is the solution, but i have to test it again.

REgards,

Daniele

This worked for me, thanks!

Fixed it for me!

L0 Member

Hi Daniel,

I just encountered this error message today. Already saw that my target PAN-OS (8.0.0) is already displayed then I hit the download button right away and the error message popped.

Try to click 'Check Now', the software list refreshes and download the target PAN-OS again. That fixed it for me.

Regards,

Mc

Thanks! A simple yet understandable way to refresh the software availability list. This resolved my issue.

CISSP, CCSP, CISA, CISM

Solution worked for me too.

Don't know why, but I'll take it.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 14 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!